Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #1 
sully180

I have a chameleon fish

So my betta is a little odd in the fact that he can change colors relatively quickly. I know that bettas turn pale when they're sick or stressed out, but this is a gradual process. My betta does it almost instantaneously. For example, whenever I change his water, he turns pale; almost completely clear in the majority of his fins as well. Once I put him in his new clean tank, he will go right back to his full color. He was also pale last night, but when I woke up this morning he had his color back and had blown a bubble nest. This doesn't seem to be a health issue, but if any of you have an explanation for this I'd appreciate it. In case you are wondering, I can give you the levels of whatever test you want for his water, but I'm almost certain everything is completely normal. Thank you!
sully180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #2 
Malvolti

It isn't gradual in any of my fish, especially my girl who is even afraid of her own food.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
It isn't gradual in any of my fish, especially my girl who is even afraid of her own food.
Thats so sad ^~^;
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 
Malvolti

Yeah, it is and I have no idea what to do about it.

Every time I put food in her tank she gets stress stripes and hides in a plant watching the food. Eventually she goes and eats after she decides it won't attack her. I'm hoping with a little time she'll get used to feeding.

I figure maybe she was the runt of her spawn so her brothers and sisters would beat her up trying to get to the food. Now she just has to settle into being the only one.

On the bright side she isn't afraid of me anymore. She swims over to me when I'm around and will look me in the eye when I try to admire her.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully180 View Post
So my betta is a little odd in the fact that he can change colors relatively quickly. I know that bettas turn pale when they're sick or stressed out, but this is a gradual process. My betta does it almost instantaneously. For example, whenever I change his water, he turns pale; almost completely clear in the majority of his fins as well. Once I put him in his new clean tank, he will go right back to his full color. He was also pale last night, but when I woke up this morning he had his color back and had blown a bubble nest. This doesn't seem to be a health issue, but if any of you have an explanation for this I'd appreciate it. In case you are wondering, I can give you the levels of whatever test you want for his water, but I'm almost certain everything is completely normal. Thank you!
While he is recovering, sounds to me he is getting stressed out from water changes. How do you go about performing your water changes? What size tank etc?
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote