Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #1 
Jaifish

newbie with questions!

Okay I got 2 females in a 2.5 gallon tank. I dont know anything about fish behavior. I got 2 because I thought one would be lonely. One chases the other anytime the other gets near. Its always the same fish chasing the other. Is this aggression? Should I seperate them? I want them to be happy. Maybe they are happier alone? I know I would be unhappy if someone chased me constantly! They have been together 2 days. Put in tank at same time. Thanks!
Jaifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Well, 2.5 gallons is too small for a sorority. That's what we call a group of girl bettas! The one who is always picking on the other is the alpha betta. (LOL, puns.) She will always like that in a group of girls, so the little one who is picked on is the beta betta. :P I would definitely separate them, they will be much happier. :)
Bettas are happier alone. :) They are called fighting fish for a reason! And although females are not nearly as aggressive usually, a sorority in a tank that size is not possible. Plus, considering that you are new at this, a group of girls is not the best way to start the hobby! I'd separate them as soon as you can.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 
Jaifish

So if you have a bigger tank they will not chase ?? I will seperate them now. Boo :( Petsmart dude said two females are fine. Should of researched first. Live and learn. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

Meh, petsmart people. Don't trust their knowledge, they'd say the betta will be fine living in the cup for the rest of their lives if it means they'll sell something. ;)
And not neccessarily. A bigger tank offers much more space for swimming, and with loads of decor places for hiding and things, but I even so, I wouldn't start out keeping bettas with a sorority! Your girl's will be much happier on their own. :) What are you separating the other girl into? :D
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #5 
Jaifish

Ok of course I have another question! She came in a plastic cup from petsmart. Should I just scoop her up and keep her in that until I can get another tank (today).?????? Poor thing!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #6 
Jaifish

Take the alpha out? Does it matter?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

It doesn't really matter which one you take out, but I'd take out the alpha. The little girl would have a harder time adjusting to a new tank because she's already stressed, ya know? The girl will be fine for a few hours in her cup if you get her a new tank today. :D It is kind of sad, but they will be much happier. Have any tank ideas in mind for what you want? :)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 
Jaifish

Ok. No i have no idea. Suggestions please. I cant spend alot of money right now. I spent alot on the 2.5g.filter, decor ect. What do you suggest i do til I get paid thursday!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #9 
fleetfish

If you can find some rubbermaid storage bins, which are really cheap, you can keep her in there until you get a second tank. We've all been beginners at one time or another! I'm sure the girls will be fine :)

Last edited by fleetfish; 03-21-2011 at 11:51 AM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #10 
turtle10

I would just get the 2.5 aquarium and a heater. And a plant. I would say that is the minimum. I say heater because bettas need a steady temp in the 76-82 degree range. I highly suggest an adjustable heater, they are more reliable. What is the temp of the first tank?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote