Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #1 
Irish Dancing Man

Post Ghost Shrimp

So i'm going to wal-mart later today to look for a 20 gal. cause petsmart prices are a rip off. My dads buying the 20 gal, but i'm bringing my own money to get a 1 or 2 gallon because i REALLY want ghost shrimp. I just know absouletly nothing about them.
These are my questions
1. How many can i put in a 1 or 2 gallon?
2. Does the water need to be heated?
3. How often should i change the water?
4. Do i need bubbler or filter?
5. What do they eat?
6. Is there anything else i need to know before taking care of Ghost Shrimp.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #2 
shinybetta

Ghost shrimp are very active. I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 2.5 gallon. If there are lots of deco and plants I would put three in their. They will fight for food so make sure everyone gets some. For a shrimp that could live in the 1 gallon, try red cherry shrimp. Ghost shrimp come from America, and they are native to areas where the weather gets below freezing, so no they don't need a heater. If you set up a walstad tank (search google) you would have very little water changes. In a 2 gallon non-walstad I would do 50% a week (preferred choice) , or every other week depending on how fast you remove food. No bubblers or filters are needed. They eat bottom feeder/shrimp tablets, as well as dead shrimp. Throw in algea wafer once or twice a month, because mine do eat small amounts of algea wafers. Another tip: If you see a molted shell, it is not dead. The difference between dead shrimp and shell is wether or not their is anything inside the shell. If it just molted it will only be a shell.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #3 
JackisLost

Make sure you have small leaf plants like fissendens or moss and the tank is established and cycled. The least amount of filter you should get is a foam filter operated by a bubbler. I think a bubble foam filter is at least required for shrimp. They need moving water for that oxygen and shrimp do poop a lot! I had ghost shrimp when I just started getting into aquariums and now I have cherry reds.

My set up is
5 gallon aqua one tank $30
Marina 10w heater $18
Deco art red sea filter $9
Fluval foam pre-filter $3
Wal-mart floral section decorational gravel $3
Petco decoration $6
2 marimo ball 2x$4.75
Driftwood $10
Moss $3
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote