Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #1 
ollief9

Stupid snail!!!!!

I bought an Apple snail a few days ago, thinking it would just slither round the tank in a world of it's own.

Turns out I was wrong. It's eaten almost an entire plant and has left poop EVERYWHERE.

I'm thinking about setting up a seperate bowl for it to live in with a fake plant and a bit of gravel (it would be easier to clean) . Would it be ok in there?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I have one snail that wont touch my live plants and another that will, but it is usually only my wisteria? It must taste nice to them. I notice he slows down a bit on my live plants if I offer him a variety of stuff to eat...carrots...romaine lettuce, spinach,collard greens, algae waffers.
I believe he would be ok in a separate tank, but I believe they need at least 2.5 gallons as they can get pretty big!You can find out more on applesnail.net.

http://www.applesnail.net/
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 
turtle10

Yeah my apple snail is almost as big as a golf ball.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
I bought an Apple snail a few days ago, thinking it would just slither round the tank in a world of it's own.

Turns out I was wrong. It's eaten almost an entire plant and has left poop EVERYWHERE.

I'm thinking about setting up a seperate bowl for it to live in with a fake plant and a bit of gravel (it would be easier to clean) . Would it be ok in there?
Why is the snail stupid when YOU'RE the one that didn't do their homework?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I agree. Snails are animals too. The snail is just doing what snails are supposed to do, so actually he is smart lol.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #6 
SmokeNLark

Yeah, that's what snails do. Poop a lot. Some eat plants, some don't. Neither of mine have eaten them. Maybe he hasn't eaten in a while. Try feeding him. Snails are animals just like your fish is.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #7 
Abby

I bought three snails for my tank. SNAILS eat algae if there is no algae they eat what ever they can.....in this case YOUR PLANTS!.
you can substitute their loss of algae with algae flakes but people often have to cup the snail 3 times a week to feed it or the bettas eat the snails food.
I suggest you return the snail as keeping it in its own tank with fake plants is cruel, because the snail needs to eat, hence its purpose.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #8 
ollief9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I bought three snails for my tank. SNAILS eat algae if there is no algae they eat what ever they can.....in this case YOUR PLANTS!.
you can substitute their loss of algae with algae flakes but people often have to cup the snail 3 times a week to feed it or the bettas eat the snails food.
I suggest you return the snail as keeping it in its own tank with fake plants is cruel, because the snail needs to eat, hence its purpose.
Worry not, I've put the snail one of my community tanks (15 gallons). Besides the corny decorations (I set it up when I just started out and haven't bothered to change the ornaments), it's good enough for a snail. It does have plants, but it's just pondweed stuff and I can always buy some more (1.99 a bunch) when the snail eats it. I transported the snail in a rather rushed manner (by pulling him off the plant he was munching on into a cup, then racing downstairs and plopping him in the tank). I know this isn't the ideal transportation method for them but I heard they can survive out of water for a week , so a cup for less than a minute shouldn't have been too harmful. Once he sunk to the bottom of the tank, he immediately came out of his shell and started investigating his new surroundings, then he began to munch on the algae which had grown on the (corny) shipwreck ornament I haven't bothered to clean.
Note: I do take care of the 15 gallon tank (the usual water change and filter clean, it's just it's not my favourite tank and it's (very) old - at least 6 years (hey, I was starting out! ), plus there isn't really much that can go wrong in a tank with 6 Black Widow Tetras and one remaining Cherry Barb (the others died).

One question, Abby, surely if you provide the snail with food (such as algae wafers and cucumber) it won't mind being in a tank with just fake plants?
Surely it's better than being in a store thrown in a tank with snail eating loaches and no food? (That was the conditions I 'saved' the snail from).
Old 03-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #9 
ollief9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I didn't mean 'stupid snail' literally, I was just expressing my frustration. No need to get feisty.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #10 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post

One question, Abby, surely if you provide the snail with food (such as algae wafers and cucumber) it won't mind being in a tank with just fake plants?
Surely it's better than being in a store thrown in a tank with snail eating loaches and no food? (That was the conditions I 'saved' the snail from).

hmmm, et me put it to you this way
would you like to be put in a tank with fake plants that will not grow your source of food and just hand fed wafers and cucumber?yes they can live like that but its not life id like to live, i surely would prefer a planted tank.
My snails started eating my plants, know what i did. SMILED. they are in the tank doing exactly what they are there to do, i dont care if they eat the easily replaceable plants when i bought them i knew they would snack on my plants. My snails are happy and very healthy, the oughta be after eating my plants.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote