Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #1 
BettasForever

Why?! :(

On Aquabid they put the bettas on cardboard (no water) just to show that they're 'giant.' They can just tell us the measurement and I'll go look at my OWN ruler rather than looking at a poor, beautiful betta fish die. I won't give the name of the seller, because of certain reasons, but I just don't know why people do this. :( I will NEVER buy a betta fish from this person. EVER.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 
JKfish

don't stress. Bettas breath air, remember? And it is to make sure the buyer knows what he or she is getting. I don't agree with the whole idea, but the fish shouldn't get hurt.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #3 
Duncan13

I agree. Its okay to have them on land for a short period of time, as long as theyre not injured in any way.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 
gmd1800

I think I found the seller you're talking about. In one link, it looks like the betta is actually in a bit of water. There is what looks like plastic under him with some water. Probably not enough for him to move, though.

In another ad, I see the betta actually in a plastic bag. In fact, in almost all of the ads, they're in a small plastic bag with little water.

I'm not trying to defend the seller in any way, and I don't even know if it's the right person. I do see where you're coming from, and the fish do look stressed.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Most of the breeders on AB know what they're doing. As long as the betta stays wet, it can survive out of water for some time. I personally wouldn't do it because it seems like it would be stressful to the fish, but it's not quite as bad as it seems.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #6 
shinybetta

Remember, wild bettas will spend some time flopping around on land looking for new pools. It isn't any more stressful than netting your fish or shipping.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

I know what ya'll mean! But I agree with bettasforever. I'd rather the seller measure a comparison object, like a finger. Say the finger is 5". They put the finger next to the tank, wait for the fish to swim to it, and then they'll have a pretty accurate measurement that isn't stressful to the fish in any way. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote