Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #1 
roboglitz

Question Heating Multiple Tanks Efficiently?

So, I was planning on picking up a couple of rescue bettas, healing them up, and holding them until people would like to adopt them. I was wondering if anyone has had success with putting several kritter keepers in a tub, filling the tub with water around the kritter keepers, and then putting a heater in tub.

Does anyone have a better method for heating a lot of bettas? I have trouble keeping my room warm, so I don't think a space heater is a viable option, and we have to keep our house around 60F for my mother's health. Also, it has to be a system that doesn't allow water to travel to different tanks, since each will be in quarantine and treated for their individual illnesses.
roboglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #2 
JackisLost

12 gallon long tank heated with beanie baby containers?
The more bettas we buy to rescue, the more bettas the store will have to replace your purchase. It's a never ending battle
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #3 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisLost View Post
12 gallon long tank heated with beanie baby containers?
The more bettas we buy to rescue, the more bettas the store will have to replace your purchase. It's a never ending battle
I actually talked to them about it, and they said they would agree to giving me the sick ones for free since they have to write them off anyways, and only as long as I purchased some things at the store when I picked up the bettas.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
JackisLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboglitz View Post
I actually talked to them about it, and they said they would agree to giving me the sick ones for free since they have to write them off anyways, and only as long as I purchased some things at the store when I picked up the bettas.
Cool! But how much space are you going to dedicate?
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #5 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisLost View Post
Cool! But how much space are you going to dedicate?
I can keep four of the larger kritter keepers in the tub currently, and changing four tanks of water, as well as feeding, medicating and monitoring four bettas is going to be a lot of work for me since I'm also a student. Hopefully I can keep that many.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 
laughing

I really like that idea. Because critter keepers have the thinner wall and it's not as thick as a bowl/vase. I think you could do it! I'd probably set the heater to about 85* though because by time it circulates around the tank and gets the warmth into the keepers it should be around 80*-ish especially since you have to keep your house so cold!

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #7 
turtle10

But who is going to adopt them? No one is going to pay shipping fees for a pet store betta.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #8 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I really like that idea. Because critter keepers have the thinner wall and it's not as thick as a bowl/vase. I think you could do it! I'd probably set the heater to about 85* though because by time it circulates around the tank and gets the warmth into the keepers it should be around 80*-ish especially since you have to keep your house so cold!

Good luck!
Oh, good idea about setting the heater higher. I hope this works!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #9 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
But who is going to adopt them? No one is going to pay shipping fees for a pet store betta.
I've actually had some people say they would be interested in helping some rescues, both online as well as friends of mine. I'm only going to get a few so if the adoptions fall through I can still take care of them.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #10 
turtle10

Okay well that is good. I really hope this all works, it is a wonderful thing to do. You are giving these fish a second chance because not many people are going to want to buy and heal and sick fish, especially if they are beginners. These fish are really lucky you are able to do this! :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote