Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #1 
davidbailey

People are gonna get mad

But I just wanted to say, why do people think that bettas are happier in big 5 gallon tanks with filters? I mean, who are you to judge that they're happier then ones living in small bowls that get cleaned every week? I just don't understand it. You can't read their minds so you don't know which they prefer. If a fish is healthy and swimming around in a small bowl or tank then why do you feel the need to attack the owner?

Bring on the hate :/
davidbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

You can keep a fish in a small tank. It's totally okay. Completely fine.

As long as you're willing to do the necessary water changes, which would be like... every other day. And you keep the bowl at the proper temperature.

Maybe I seem like a moron, but I can definitely tell when my fish are comfortable. When I moved Robert into a ten gallon, I thought he would love it... but he didn't. He freaked out, and never calmed down. So I moved him back to his 5gal, and now he's happy.

It depends on the fish what they're comfortable with. But NO fish is comfortable in a 0.5 gallon unheated unfiltered bowl with water changes once a month. They're just not. They'll die.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #3 
davidbailey

I know my bettas are fine and I do water changes once a week. I still need to get heaters though.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

How do you know they're fine if you say we can't know they're fine? ;)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #5 
monroe0704

Lol I personally believe it's totally owner preference. Smaller bowls do fill up w ammonia and nitrates faster though, so to keep the betta healthy you'd need to do a couple full water changes each day. I also think a bowl that doesn't allow much room to move is unfair. If you want to be a pet owner then go ahead and treat them like a pet :) I have two 1.5 gallons and I am perfectly happy with that size for the bettas I have in them!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #6 
davidbailey

Well looks wise, they seem fine. Active with healthy fins :p
Old 03-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Okay, then that's how we judge when they're happier. :P Same way you know when your fish are happy.

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong. I only know what has worked for me. When I had my fish in anything smaller than a five gallon, it was hard for me to keep up with water changes and the water fouled quickly. It was a pain. My fish got sick occasionally. So when I see newbies with tiny tanks I always suggest they get a five.

You say you change the water once a week? How big are your bowls?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Agreed. And given that I have a small room with limited space, I can only have certain sizes of tanks... and so many.... As I'll be going into the Air Force soon, I don't want to leave all my fish and Samm (turtle) to my granparents... when they don't even know I have more than two bettas. xD

But they'll be in good hands.

Anyway, thankfully I had enough room to squeeze in a 20 gal, 10 gal, 3 gal, 1 gal, and a half gallon right next to my laptop (which has my six guppy babies in it atm... it was my QT. :D' )
And I'll have to find either a 2.5 gal tank for my betta who is on the way here... or a 1 gal vase. Which... all the vases my grama has on hand aren't big enough that I think my new HM would be happy swimming in there.

Water changes are fairly easy to keep up with , too. All you do is let some water sit long enough to get chlorine out and/or use dechlorinator and switch out the water in whatever way you choose. At least every other da--... well... it depends on the size of your tank. xP
Those who think it takes too long or is a hassle should look up easier ways to do it, 'cause really... it's not hard. And it's better than finding a pale/sick/dead betta a while later.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #9 
davidbailey

Below a gallon, sadly. I'm tight on money so I can't really afford to upgrade until I get a job. But the water doesn't dirty very quickly in a week. It stays relatively clear even for weeks, but thats way too long
Old 03-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #10 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
Below a gallon, sadly. I'm tight on money so I can't really afford to upgrade until I get a job. But the water doesn't dirty very quickly in a week. It stays relatively clear even for weeks, but thats way too long
Well, you can't see what builds up in it. Water can be Crystal clear but also toxic to fish. It's fine in the short term (and I totally understand the short on money thing) although I would definitely change the water a little more often. That's just what I would do, though.