Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #31 
turtle10

No but I am an experienced betta owner, as are the others on here. I don't need to have a degree to know that ammonia builds up that fast, I have a test kit. Also every member on here will tell you that I am right about this, and some of these members have 20+ years experience. You NEED to do more water changes, it is a simple fact that really can't be argued down.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #32 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
I don't understand how you know this. Do you have a degree in biology or ecology. Please tell me.
Amusingly enough, that IS my major.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #33 
BlakbirdxGyarados

It shouldn't take that long to do water changes. Shoot, just do it more often, maybe right before you go to bed, right after you wake up, or something... your betta would thank you for it.

All it is is water changes. Not like you're doing something that costly or complicated. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Amusingly enough, that IS my major.
Lol, and I would say... touche. xD
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #34 
turtle10

I agree with Blakbird, a water change at most takes like 20 minutes. There is NO way that you can't make that sort of time. There is honestly no excuse. Wake up earlier if you have to.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #35 
FuulieQ

Well, I did have to cart water up a few flights of stairs... took a little longer than that... and I honestly feel really bad that I didn't do it more often. I feel like Friedrich could have lived longer if I had managed to do things properly.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #36 
bettafish15

In a tank thats less than a gallon, a 100% water change would take 5 minutes, tops. There is no way you dont have time for that. Just get your water ready with your water condtioner, make sure the temp is within a few degrees of the tanks temperature, scoop your betta out of it's bowl, dump the old water out in a sink, pour new water in, float betta in cup to equalize the temperature, release, and your done! :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #37 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Agreed with BF15.

I just did Uncle's water change... took me two minutes. :P I don't really do the dump-the-water thing, though, lol... I use a straw thing to transfer water slowly and don't really have to take Uncle out of his home. Saves his bubble nest a little too.

My lack of better describing words for the tools I use for water changes sucks. xD
As does my ability to speak comprehendable English right now, apparently. :P

If you'd like more suggestions on how to change the water, I'm sure we can give out quite a few ideas.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #38 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Well, I did have to cart water up a few flights of stairs... took a little longer than that... and I honestly feel really bad that I didn't do it more often. I feel like Friedrich could have lived longer if I had managed to do things properly.
Hm... well, I understand that, then, but you and I know that it would've been a lot better if you just sucked it up and changed the water more (lol, my choice of words... |D )

But we all learn from mistakes... and sometimes it's the hard way. Hopefully the OP doesn't learn the hard way.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #39 
freakumDRESS

There's no such thing as a happy betta. They're always miserable. Flaring at their own reflections and such. In fact, they have such strong jealousy and low self esteem that they'll attack any other fancy fish that they feel is prettier, smarter, or faster than them. They're never smiling either. They're the bah humbugs of the fishy world.
freakumDRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #40 
JKfish

If you get an ammonia liquid tester, you'll find these members are right. Test the water every day, and after a week in a less than a gallon tank, the ammonia will be off the charts. Every time a fish breathes, it excretes ammonia from its gills. It's sort of similar to locking someone in an airtight room for a week. that air will get stale fast, and dangerous (to humans) in little to no time at all. The funny thing is the air LOOKS clean and good to breath, right? Seriously ammonia is dangerous stuff. Would you want to be breathing it your whole life?

I doubt any of us are more than peeved at you for not listening, but I wouldn't push it. We want our fish to thrive ,not just do better than before. In my honest opinion, when you get a pet, you better have the resources (time is a resource as well) to make that pet's life as good as you possibly can. I'm not saying you need a 10 gallon for one fish. I'm not saying you have to constantly be worrying or thinking about the fish and its well being 24/7, all I'm saying is give him room to explore, he's the one stuck in the tank all his life, no? Give him a heater, wouldn't you want your internal temperatures to be where they ought to be? Keep his water clean.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote