Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #41 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
If you get an ammonia liquid tester, you'll find these members are right. Test the water every day, and after a week in a less than a gallon tank, the ammonia will be off the charts. Every time a fish breathes, it excretes ammonia from its gills. It's sort of similar to locking someone in an airtight room for a week. that air will get stale fast, and dangerous (to humans) in little to no time at all. The funny thing is the air LOOKS clean and good to breath, right? Seriously ammonia is dangerous stuff. Would you want to be breathing it your whole life?

I doubt any of us are more than peeved at you for not listening, but I wouldn't push it. We want our fish to thrive ,not just do better than before. In my honest opinion, when you get a pet, you better have the resources (time is a resource as well) to make that pet's life as good as you possibly can. I'm not saying you need a 10 gallon for one fish. I'm not saying you have to constantly be worrying or thinking about the fish and its well being 24/7, all I'm saying is give him room to explore, he's the one stuck in the tank all his life, no? Give him a heater, wouldn't you want your internal temperatures to be where they ought to be? Keep his water clean.
Perfectly and politely said :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #42 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakumDRESS View Post
There's no such thing as a happy betta. They're always miserable. Flaring at their own reflections and such. In fact, they have such strong jealousy and low self esteem that they'll attack any other fancy fish that they feel is prettier, smarter, or faster than them. They're never smiling either. They're the bah humbugs of the fishy world.
Interesting take on things. However, a person can never truly know. No one speaks fish. :P
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #43 
Arashi Takamine

Edit: Now I feel like a troll....Forget I ever said anything my emotions got to me....
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #44 
davidbailey

Thanks, JKfish. I'll probably up the water changes to every few days. You were the only one who told me that they excrete ammonia when they breathe. I honestly thought that it only happened when they pooped which I know isn't that often. I'm also working on the heater, like I said I'm low on money so I can't go out and buy one right now.
davidbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #45 
BlakbirdxGyarados

And JKfish is not JK-ing. :D
Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #46 
freakumDRESS

It always took me half an hour to do a 10 percent change for my first ten gallon, before it broke. I want to the fish tank. Stared at it for 5 minutes. Got my syphon and bucket, started syphoning, realized I wasnt aiming for the bucket, freaked out, knocked over the bucket, hit my chin on the floor after i fell, got a towel...
freakumDRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #47 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
Thanks, JKfish. I'll probably up the water changes to every few days. You were the only one who told me that they excrete ammonia when they breathe. I honestly thought that it only happened when they pooped which I know isn't that often. I'm also working on the heater, like I said I'm low on money so I can't go out and buy one right now.
As far as JKfish being the only one telling you they "excrete ammonia" maybe that's true. JK did say those words exactly. But we weren't really saying anything different or kidding you when we said ammonia was breathed in.
And while it may not seem often that they poop, it still builds up really fast... Why poop is waste, no? :D'

And I remember you saying that about the heater. As long as you aim to get that sometime soon when you can. :D

But if I may,
if more than one person... more than three... four... add a couple more if you want. If a lot of members are saying the same thing ("do water changes" seemed to be popular), it kinda really means we're telling the truth, we know what we're talking about... something to that effect.
It's better to not argue that we don't have proof when you don't have a way to prove your side of the story either. D:

We just want the best for our fishies. And we want to help others' fishies too.
And as far as standard things like water temp and changes go... (and food, lol, don't forget the food) ... we know what's not enough and too much.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 03-20-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #48 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Edit: Now I feel like a troll....Forget I ever said anything my emotions got to me....
'S alright. It seems emotions run high as an OP responds later and later... or not at all.
We're concerned for the fishies.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #49 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Hm... well, I understand that, then, but you and I know that it would've been a lot better if you just sucked it up and changed the water more (lol, my choice of words... |D )

But we all learn from mistakes... and sometimes it's the hard way. Hopefully the OP doesn't learn the hard way.
I made no excuses for myself, there. lD

I did the best I could at the time. Those were very hard years for me and Friedrich was a trooper to put up with me then. Hopefully the planted five gallon I set up for him for the last half of his life made up for whatever issues I caused him early on.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #50 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
Nobody ever told you that? :U

Yep, they do all their gas exchange and peeing through their gills. It's not very practical to pee like a land animal when you're aquatic, I imagine.

Actually, I wonder if fish do pee as well as excrete ammonia through their gills?

-heads to wikipedia-
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote