Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #51 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Nobody ever told you that? :U

Yep, they do all their gas exchange and peeing through their gills. It's not very practical to pee like a land animal when you're aquatic, I imagine.

Actually, I wonder if fish do pee as well as excrete ammonia through their gills?

-heads to wikipedia-
I dunno about bettas, but I had a fish pee on me once. Maybe... or was that Samm? ... >>

You let me know the result of your findings, FuulieQ. xD
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #52 
JKfish

No problem DavidBailey :) I'm glad to have cleared things up for you. If possible, since it is less than a gallon, I would go for 100% once a day... maaaaybe 100% every other day, but that's only if it's like .8 or .9 gallons. Anything less than that you'd need 100% daily.

I remember when I first got into betta keeping (just a bit over a year ago actually O_o), I kept my first betta in a .5 gallon for maybe 6 months. For a bit I did a water change once a week. Yeah, he seemed alright. Then I joined the fourm and learned better. I took an extra 5 minutes out of my life to change his tank 100% once daily, and he honestly started looking even better than "okay". Then I got him a larger cycled and heated tank and kept up with water changes, and honestly I had never seen him happier. It doesn't take a lot to properly provide for a betta. A tank large enough (IMO 2 gallons) to explore, clean warm water, good food, and wha-la... you have yourself a super happy betta! The prices of the most vital things like heaters may be rather high, but just remember.... bettas can live 5-7 years, so the investment in the long run will seem like little to nothing. :)

Just so you know, if you are low on money, there are typically some great deals on craigslist for tanks, heaters, etc. I check there every now and then, and I've seen some great deals.

---

Quote:
And JKfish is not JK-ing. :D
that made my day XD
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #53 
BlakbirdxGyarados

@JKFish: lol, I'm glad. x)
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #54 
Jupiter

No worries, water changes don't take that long, but they are needed to ensure that your fish are happy and healthy! I do 3 water changes per week for my betta's 1/1.5 gallon tanks, and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes each. Dump the water, rinse everything under hot water, fill it up again, treat it, presto! :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #55 
bahamut285

I find it funny how OP mentioned they don't have time to do daily water changes, but was on this thread arguing for several hours at 30 minute intervals...

Sounds like plenty of time to change water to me :S....it takes me 30-40 minutes to change the water in my 8 Gal, 5 Gal and 2.5Gal combined.

Not to judge, just sayin'...
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #56 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
I dunno about bettas, but I had a fish pee on me once. Maybe... or was that Samm? ... >>

You let me know the result of your findings, FuulieQ. xD
They do, although they also exchange ammonia through the gills. You must have been legitimately peed on. :B

I almost got peed on by a sea cucumber once. Thankfully it decided it liked the next guy less than me and dumped all over him as soon as I handed it off.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #57 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
They do, although they also exchange ammonia through the gills. You must have been legitimately peed on. :B

I almost got peed on by a sea cucumber once. Thankfully it decided it liked the next guy less than me and dumped all over him as soon as I handed it off.
Haha... well.. like I said, it was either a fish or my turtle Samm. xD

and
LOL
How... nice. I guess it is better to get peed on than dumped on tho'. Sorry for that guy, lol