Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 
ireland

Betta Fry eating???

As of last friday my bettas finally bred, hatched on sunday, and today free swimming, I have a culture of vinegar eel going on and a infusoria culture as well, it didnt occur to me until today that I have no clue how to harvest the vinegar eel. So I looked up online and read that one should filter the media through a coffee filter then rinse once more with tap water, and then finally put the filter in a water filled container so you can extract the vinegar eels with a turkey baster to feed the fry.

Well my question is, how does one assure oneself that they have feed the fry enough vinegar eels?

First time breeder by the way

Thank you all

Last edited by ireland; 03-21-2011 at 03:53 PM.
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

LOL.. I don't do all that (call me lazy). All I do is filter the worms through a coffee filter then turn the filter upside down and dunk it in the tank a couple times to let the eels free.

IMO if you take one turkey baster full that should be enough to feed a large spawn for one meal. But that is based on my culture and my culture has a LOT of worms per cm3, newer cultures you probably want to use 2-3 turkey baster's full.

Then I take the medium that drained through the filter and dump it back in the culture because there will be small eels that pass through the filter in the medium so they need to be put back in the jar to grow more.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #3 
ireland

yeah thats exactly what i did witht the media afterward too. I did two full turkey baster, so i guess i should be fine then.

Would i need to feed them boiled eggs (the yolk) too?

Thanks
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I don't feed egg. I use VE, micro worms, bannana worms, and walter worms until 2 weeks old and then I switch to BBS.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote