Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Free-ish Goldfish

Seriously, I need to get rid of these goldfish in my turtle's tank. I'm tired of looking at them AND THEY'RE EATING ALL THE FOOD. lol... like a bunch of teenagers. 8D

I do want to keep one (the smallest one), but besides that, I have four. All look pretty much exactly the same. Only one of them has a weird mutation... his mouth is shaped like a bird's beak from the side, and from the front you can see that his mouth is shaped literally like a cresent moon. I didn't notice he had the mutation until he got bigger.

Initially these guys (or girls... I don't know, lol) were supposed to be turtle food. Obviously he didn't eat them.

Here's a few pictures of the slightly deformed one... which gives you a general idea on what the other goldfish look like too:

(I had to derp him... I'm sorry. |D )

Here I try to show what his mouth is like... this is the best photo I could get. And this is the best way I could enhance it. xD'

Local would be best. All you'd have to do is lemme know you want them and we'll set up a meeting place.

If you really want them, though, but don't live around me, I'll ship them, but you'll have to pay for the shipping. :P

If no one wants them... I'll have to do what I really don't want to. Which is take them to my LFS... ... where I know I will still see them everytime I go.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
Irish Dancing Man

How big are they??? DO you live in the chicago land area?
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
How big are they??? DO you live in the chicago land area?
Biggest of the four I'm giving away is approx. 3" long (including his tail). The smallest of the four is about 2.5".

I live in Florida... You're somewhere in Chicago, IL, right?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #4 
turtle10

Can goldfish be kept alone?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Can goldfish be kept alone?
People do it all the time (but then, people keep bettas in vases with plants thinking they'll eat the plants too :P ), and in my experience they can.

However
These guys have lived in a group their whole lives, as they were bred as food for reptiles like mine.

My guess is they'd be comfortable staying as a group, but these guys might not be fine alone. I caught the one I wanted to keep and kept him isolated for a while. He acted alright, though he wasn't used to being by his lonesome. I re-placed him with the others after three days.
I would recommend they go in pairs, unless the person(s) want one to add to their tank of goldfish.

I also don't recommend they go in community tanks.
Goldfish like to prey on the smaller fish, like guppies.

And I should note: While I say I'm only going to keep one, there will be more goldfish added to keep him company. They'll just be smaller than him. Whether Samm eats them or not, we'll see, but he's known to only eat half the new fish and leave the rest alone.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #6 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Whether Samm eats them or not, we'll see, but he's known to only eat half the new fish and leave the rest alone.
sorry this made me LOL
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #7 
turtle10

LOL, Samm! Hopefully he will do okay with his new buddies. Are you getting a bigger set up? Because 20 is too small for goldfish and a turtle.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
LOL, Samm! Hopefully he will do okay with his new buddies. Are you getting a bigger set up? Because 20 is too small for goldfish and a turtle.
I know it's too small, which is why I want to get rid of the goldfish. :/
They've grown so fast, but I'm afraid of keeping them longer.

This is also the biggest tank Samm's ever had. I'd love to put him in the artificial pond outside in the backyard, but my granparents need to find it and fish it out of the shed. Pun unintended.