Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 
Johnificent

Female Betta

Ok, I was thinking about my birthday, and I just brainstormed, I want a female betta for my birthday :) So, I once again need help from you guys. Is there any differences in care for male bettas than female bettas? I heard females need more space? Is that true? Also, recommendations for tanks or anything would be appreciated :) Thanks! XD
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Females don't need more space than males. I keep one of my females in a 1 gallon, and it's fine. I wouldn't keep a male in that size, since they're bigger, but females are smaller, so it works. I know some people will disagree with me, but it's my opinion.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 
Johnificent

thats the same thing that I was actually thinking :) I was waiting for someone to say that to make sure of myself :) hhahahahah... i think the minibow 1 gallon is good?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #4 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Leliia (my dragon girl) is rough and violent for a female (and I know she's a female, lol... not a PK. She has an egg spot. xD) but she loved her 1 gal. Kritter Keeper I had her in. It was probably wrong to have a tankmate with her, but he never really moved from his spot so *ramble ramble ramble*

BACK ON TOPIC... xD;
I was just going to make a point that even with rowdy personalities (like Leliia) or calm and shy types like my มาลี, females are fine in tanks like a 1 gallon because they're smaller (as Sweeda88 said). As long as you don't overcrowd it with other fish or plants, of course. |D

If there's anything different in care, it's that you can put more than one female in the same tank.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

Yeah, in my one gallon I just have one female, of course, 1 plant, and 1 cave so it's not too crowded. I had 2 plants in there for a couple hours, but then noticed my female wasn't as active. I took one out, and she's much happier now.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 
Johnificent

oh, ok :) thanks for the advice! hahahah @sweeda and blackbird. do you guys mind posting pics of your 1 gallon tank here? I enjoy lookin at ppl's tanks :) and hopefully, it will inspire me a little thanks :)
Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #7 
BlakbirdxGyarados

;'D I wouldn't mind doing that... except Leliia and Mali are in a ten gallon now. xD The one gallons I have are used for QT, which one currently has six unplanned guppy babies in it. >> (I don't want them to get sucked up in the filter... I wanna see what they look like since there's three different possible Dads. xD ) The other has Uncle... who I plan to upgrade to a bigger tank next payday. (Got him out of impulse, lol.)

I'll happily post the pictures of all the tanks in my room, though. One sec... xD;
Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

All I have is a crappy webcam picture, but here it is, in all its grainy glory. Also, it shows my 3 gallon. You can get the 3 gallon I have for $13 at PetCo, in case you decide to go for something bigger. BTW, I'm using a heating pad for a heater, so that's why there is no visible heater in the tank.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #9 
Johnificent

oh, i see :) hahahha, nice tanks! XD the three gallon is a kritter keeper?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Wow, I have never seen a Kritter Keeper that big. Three gallons? D:
I wanna find one.

Also!:

From biggest to smallest, Samm (the Painted Turtle)'s 20 gal... shared by accidental-pet goldfish (who now accidentally have names, lol)

10 gal., divided for my girls on the left and Jade on the right. Both sides have guppies (male guppies left, female guppies right)... (and a ghost catfish with Leliia)

Next up is the BiOrb... which I have no idea how big it is, but I think it's 5 gal.
If I can move SilverSand (pearl gourami) with the female bettas, Uncle will claim this as his.

Uncle's current temporary Man Cave (1 gal.)

EDIT: And wow, did I just now notice that giant bubble nest he's made? At least he's happy, lol. |D

and finally the slightly smaller KK with my babies in it.
(I had to photoshop my clay-made stuff :D )

Sorry if the pictures are bigger... and I'll find out about how big the BiOrb is, exactly.... they only come in two sizes as a sphere. Or at least last time I checked.... <<'

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 03-19-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: I can't splel (lol)