Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #1 
Turt8

Dangerous Filter

My tank came with a small Whisper filter like this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752355 . I left my house for 3 hours and came home to see my little guy stuck to uptake spout and no longer alive. I was kind of afraid that something would happen like that, but it had been a while with no close calls.
Any advice for my next try? Should I bury the end in rocks? Should I just go filterless? Argh, I am so frustrated.
Turt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #2 
Malvolti

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, it's always a tragedy when a piece of equipment kills a friend.

I use 2 Whisper 3i and have never had any of my inhabitants have any problem with them but I baffle the flow. Burying the intake will only make the filter pointless. Try putting some aquarium sponge over the intake instead or use a piece of stocking.

You can also go filterless just be more diligent about water changes.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #3 
bettafish15

Wrap some clean pantyhose or an aquarium sponge around the intake, that will stop him from getting sucked up. If the current from the outflow is too stong - baffle that with a sponge. Sorry for your loss ):
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #4 
roypattonphoto

wow... i almost got one of these filters rated for a 10-20gal tank tonight... thats crazy that it has that much suction is that powerful on something like that setup..

sorry for your lost....

what size is your aquarium?

if u can find them , looking for a a system that uses Bio-Wheel filter system, they work great, low maintenance, and the current is real crazy...my LPS Petco and Petsmart carries them, u might try Amazon as well...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs

What a horrible experience; my first betta met a similar fate.

Is there nothing covering the bottom of that tube? It definitely looks like a disaster waiting to happen! You could stuff some aquarium sponge in the intake, or you could cover it in pantyhose. If you're wary about using that filter and want to get a new one, you could try a sponge filter or an internal submerged filter that doesn't have an intake tube.

I'm sorry you lost your fish. :(
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

Im sorry to hear that. Im a bit surprised the filter managed to get him like that. Usually they arent that strong.
Are you certain it was the filter that got him, and that he didnt pass away and then* get sucked in? (Just in case something isnt right with the tank/your cleaning methods, etc. for your next friend..)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #7 
Turt8

Thank you for all of your advice. I will definately get some aquarium sponge. I'm not sure if the little guy was sick before. He seemed to like to hang out on the bottom of the aquarium and hide on top of my heater. I thought it was bit strange. Maybe he was sick and couldn't swim away from the suction. It really isn't too strong of suction. I seem to be having a lot of bad luck with Betta's.
My tank is a 1.5 gallon
Turt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Hmmm...i think I know the tank you have. Make sure the water is conditioned and you change the water twice a week, 50% . You dont have to do a 100% done you have a filter. That might help you out. If youre worried about the filter, you dont need it and can remove it. Just need to do a 100% once a week without it.
Good luck, keep trying.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

I had this filter in a 2.5 and found it too strong without a baffle... I can only imagine how bad it would be in a 1.5.
It's possible that your guy hid because he couldn't deal with the current and the top of your heater was the only place he found were the current wasn't too strong.
Sorry for your fish...
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #10 
PitGurl

I have a 1.5 tank too and I had heard bad things about that filter so I got a small world filter for it. It works well and comes with a little valve to control air flow so you can control the current. The air pump it comes with can be a bit loud so I suggest getting a better air pump.

http://www.petco.com/product/3199/Pe...ld-Filter.aspx

Last edited by PitGurl; 03-21-2011 at 12:49 PM.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote