Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #11 
Turt8

I saw the tutorial to make a baffle, but the lip of my filter is too small for a water bottle. I think someone suggested putting some aquarium sponge there to act as a baffle.
I like the Penn Plax small filter. I'll call them and see if it is available in the store. I wish there was always free shipping!
Turt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #12 
Deadpool

I'm sorry about your betta fish :(

I had been using the Tetra Whisper filter for my Marineland 5 gallon tank, and it was really too big for it and too strong for my betta.

I decided to try a different filter, so I went with Tom's Internal Mini filter, and it has been working great. It's cheap, i think less than ten bucks, and also has an adjustable water flow great for betta fish
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
I'm sorry about your betta fish :(

I had been using the Tetra Whisper filter for my Marineland 5 gallon tank, and it was really too big for it and too strong for my betta.

I decided to try a different filter, so I went with Tom's Internal Mini filter, and it has been working great. It's cheap, i think less than ten bucks, and also has an adjustable water flow great for betta fish
It didnt come with the bio wheel? Thats odd. If you have it, thats the best kind for it.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #14 
akjadestar

I'm sorry for your loss, I hate when something like that happens... :/

I have the same filter, but it has no tube on the bottom, just those slots that let in water...is that still safe?
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #15 
Deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It didnt come with the bio wheel? Thats odd. If you have it, thats the best kind for it.
No, because I don't have the standard Marineland Eclipse 5 gallon. I have this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752372

And I really have to disagree if your talking about the bio wheel, because my girlfriend has the regular 5 gallon tank from marineland and it always stops working.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #16 
pumpkinspikepie

I have a sponge filter for both of my betta tanks and for those I'd say the only precaution you'd have to take is making sure you don't get an air pump that'll create too strong a current for your fish. I've never had an issue with either of them. I'd rather use those than a hanging filter for bettas, personally. I'm really sorry about your little guy. I hope it doesn't happen again!
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #17 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
No, because I don't have the standard Marineland Eclipse 5 gallon. I have this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752372

And I really have to disagree if your talking about the bio wheel, because my girlfriend has the regular 5 gallon tank from marineland and it always stops working.
I disagree back, I've never had one fail. They're just sensitive to water level.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #18 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjadestar View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, I hate when something like that happens... :/

I have the same filter, but it has no tube on the bottom, just those slots that let in water...is that still safe?
that sounds like the 2-5 or 5-10i filter, it has a motor. Your bud should have no problems with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #19 
Thunderloon

On the occasions I advise people to use the 3i filter I always advise them to get a pre-filter sponge to go on it down on the intake as well as get a flow control valve for the air pump.

I think it'd be in tetra's best interest to start including a relief valve or an intake sponge with the kit even though the sponge would reduce after-market sales of filter cards.

For your little tank I'd say the filter is still fine but go ahead and see if you can get a sponge for over the intake and a airline T and valve to make a little pressure relief line so you can reduce the bubble power.

The penn plax filter system will work fine as well. I've not used it but P-P doesn't sell stuff that doesn't work.