Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #11 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
"I dont suggest glass dividers, since water cannot pass through them and neither can heat. I recommend getting pre-fab ones at pet stores. Theyre a sure fire way and you dont have to worry as much about them failing."

I used glass dividers. They are not flush with the sides of the tank, so there is a small space between them and the tank to let water pass through like that. I had the heater on one side of the tank and the thermometer on the complete opposite side and it went from whatever the room temp at the time was to 80 degrees. The glass dividers just don't let the current from the filter affect the other sections. Please tell me if I wasnt totally clear on all this.
I know, from experience, that these things can be fickle. I still recommend not doing this method due to said spaces, which freaks me out an makes me nervous about one fish visiting the other. Sometimes glass can be hard for people who have not used it before. You do what you want, Im not saying it is wrong. However, I will and still say that mesh or glass with holes in the middle allows for better flow and dispersion of heat that one without that is using the spaces only.

No need to get huffy, ha. Advice is advice and we can all get and give it.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #12 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I know, from experience, that these things can be fickle. I still recommend not doing this method due to said spaces, which freaks me out an makes me nervous about one fish visiting the other. Sometimes glass can be hard for people who have not used it before. You do what you want, Im not saying it is wrong. However, I will and still say that mesh or glass with holes in the middle allows for better flow and dispersion of heat that one without that is using the spaces only.

No need to get huffy, ha. Advice is advice and we can all get and give it.
Oh, not getting huffy at all :) I just wasn't sure if maybe different types of tanks have different issues with different types of dividers, so I was telling my experience. Plus, as I said, I was only using them temporarily.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #13 
Slipstitch

Something else you'll want to take into consideration is your filter. If your betta isn't a strong swimmer, the filter will stress him out a bunch(unless you have it baffled REALLY good)
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #14 
roxy15

I know the petsmart in my area sells dividers. I don't know if they are clear, as they are boxed up. I hope that helps.
roxy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #15 
Nanglebadger

my dividers are strips of glass, meaning water flows from one end of the tank to the other.

My tank is also divided into 6 sections, like a barracks sort of set-up, all glass dividers, all males. And not one of them has demonstrated a single adverse effect of being able to see its neighbours and flaring at them. On the contrary, i have found that it has made them rather sociable towards me when i approach the tank, they don't tend to get bored and chase the shrimps, and when they get bored of flaring at one another, they simply turn and swim away. not one of the current 5 males that i have can be described as being stressed.

clearly there are very differing opinions and experiences around the use of clear dividers, seems they work grand for some folk and not so well for others.

Phil.

Last edited by Nanglebadger; 03-29-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Nanglebadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #16 
margotandfishy

The petsmart dividers are clear mesh. I love mine but my fishies only flare at each other when its feeding time....or when they think it's feeding time, so i don't have a problem with it. buy some aquarium sealant with the divider to glue it in place just in case.
margotandfishy is offline   Reply With Quote