Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #1 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Question How to know if your Infusosria Culture is ready?

*Infusoria*

I’ve made mine by using some lettuce and powdered egg yolk dissolved in water in a jar. It’s been sizzling under the sun, lighted during the night, for almost three weeks now (well ventilated too). I’ve read that it’s supposed to turn greenish, instead it’s yellowish. I’ve only used 1 leaf of lettuce (half a palm size) and a quarter of egg yolk. Maybe the egg yolk dictated its color but I want to make sure that I have protists partying there and not the bacteria that they feed on. I don’t have a microscope to verify. Do any indications, like color of water or demography of debris or smell, exist to help me know?

Last edited by 19wEEdmAstEr25; 03-21-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: subject spelling check
19wEEdmAstEr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I think you have ammonia water instead??? IDK. (IME) Lettuce + egg yolk often = ammonia. If you have infusoria, daphnia should survive in that water and the it shouldn't smell. And if you use a flash light, you should see particles moving in the water.

Try placing a bucket of water with some plants outside (1 hr of dirrect sunlight should be enough) and let it age. Oh, add some pond/river or any natural water (incl. sewer water with no deadly chemicals). Cover it with some sort of net to keep large insects out. Not only will you have infusoria, you will also get a lot of other critters.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #3 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Thanks for the tip dude! Anyway, Iíve infused a few drops of what I did into another jar with some Chinese cabbage (greener and leafy than the regular one) and old water from a vase, this time w/o egg yolk in it. Iíll just try to sunbathe it once and leave it in a shade for the remainder of its days. Maybe itíd be ready in a few days.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 
pdxBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wEEdmAstEr25 View Post
*Infusoria*

I donít have a microscope to verify.
How about a magnifying glass? You can see some of the larger protists with just a magnifying glass.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #5 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxBetta View Post
How about a magnifying glass? You can see some of the larger protists with just a magnifying glass.
I've just recently read the topic about fry food and found that they can be seen through that. Thanks! I'll try it soon.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 
turtle10

Are you sure you are supposed to add egg yolk? That will just foul the water. All you need is lettuce, water, and the sun.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Are you sure you are supposed to add egg yolk? That will just foul the water. All you need is lettuce, water, and the sun.
EDIT: I saw that you said "w/o", instead of "w/", so nvm lol :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #8 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
EDIT: I saw that you said "w/o", instead of "w/", so nvm lol :)
No prob.