Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #1 
xkatieebby

Lightbulb Anyone know anything about weather stripping?

So I've considered a lot of options for my new divided 10 gallon tank. I've already bought everything I need. Instead of drilling holes into plexi glass I'm just going to cut slats in it, BUT I was going to let it be held in place by thin black rubber foam weather stripping. Would this work? Or would this be toxic to my fishies?
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #2 
Slayers

I would have to say it would be toxic most rubber is made from an oil by product which would be very toxic to the fish
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #3 
xkatieebby

Well I've heard of people using rubber as spacers, but it's like a solid rubber.

The weather stripping is that rubber foam material though. :/

Last edited by xkatieebby; 03-21-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

You should do your research about the peticular product youre using.

If it says "non toxic" its usually okay, though Id still worry about being in water.

The real problem is that its not designed to be fully submerged, you know? It might leech really badly, and that stuff has some srs bizns in it that you dont want in the tank.

Perhaps consider aquarium sealant? Its a better way, IMO. You could also try to get a really close fit, one so snug it doesnt need anything but compression to hold in place. (Measure twice, cut once! LOL)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 
xkatieebby

I have aquarium sealant! lol I just don't want to seal the whole tank into place. I want to be able to remove the plexiglass if I want to.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

You can remove it, its not THAT permanent. Trust me ;D You can scrape the sealant off until it is weakened, then pull or scrape scrape til its off. Just dont use too too much and seal it on the sides, not TO the tank (which is how it should be, anyway. You seal it on a 45' angle to what you want on the *sides)

Thats a better bet!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #7 
xkatieebby

Yeah I figured I'd have to do something like that. But I can't drill holes into the plexi glass or it will shatter, So I was going to cut it into sections and make like long slats for the water flow. Skinny though so the bettas can't squeeze through, so that's a lot more sealing. That's why I was looking for something to hold it in place.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

Why are you looking into glass and not mesh for your tank? Its a simpler way to go about it. Im not discouraging you, just a suggestion.

Please take care not to allow any pace large enough for the fish to slip through or wedge itself into. I know it sounds stupid, but you would be surprised what they'll do to get at eachother.

You can also seal some mesh to the top and bottom of the glass (like an inch of mesh, the bottom needs to go deeper, under the gravel) which makes it easier to have it pass through. It needs to be sealed to the sides (the glass) first.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #9 
xkatieebby

I just like the look of glass better versus the mesh, it just looks, messy? I don't know the right word for it. But I know, they won't see each other. I was thinking about frosting the glass. I just need to figure out how to get it to stay.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #10 
turtle10

How are you going to get the water to circulate?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote