Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #1 
mabarcomb

Unhappy motionless betta, because of new tank/filter?

It has been a very very long while since I had a betta. And when I did, I had very large filtered, planted tanks and never ran into this problem before:
I really had not intended on having freshwater tanks again, since I move a lot. but when I saw this fish in need I figured he would live comfortably in my office.

I rescued this betta from a friend/negligent owner, and the fish has been in a small Ĺ gal bowl since Christmas. He has been doing very well with me, eating regularly (Aqueon Betta Food) and puffing his fins and gills when someone would pass by his bowl. But I felt a little bad about the confined space and got tired of cleaning it out every week. So after 2 weeks of research and a trip to the mainland for the weekend, I got the 1 gal aqueon from Petco for him. He has only spent 1 night in it and he looked awful this morning! He was sucked up to the filter when I came into the office, so I turned it off and removed the filter. For the last 4 hours he has been motionless on the bottom (sometimes moving his gills) only swimming to the surface for air. I think (I hope) itís because he is tired from swimming against the flow all night, and Iím keeping watch, hoping he will start to look lively againÖ. Any pointers? Iím worried, should I stay worried?

My cousin told me that bettaís do badly in small tanks with filters (not what all the reviews I read said about this tank before I bought it), so Iím leaving the filter out for now. If I can restrict the flow, would I be able to use it again? Or am I doomed to change his water every week? I donít really mind changing it, but ... That was the whole point of buying this tank.

Keep in mind I have limited resources. I live on an island, aprox 100 miles away from the closest pet store. So I canít go out and buy anything that canít be purchased at Publix or K-Mart. I would have to have something shipped down here, or wait for the gas money for another weekend trip.
mabarcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #2 
mabarcomb

Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 
bettafish15

It's pointless to use a filter in a 1gal really IMO... it just takes up space. You need to do at least two water changes a week though in that small tank. If you had a 5 or 10 gallon, a waterchange once a week would be fine but not with a 1 gallon, sorry :/ Someone else'll likely chime in with more info on water changing for your tank. ;)

*Also, the picture in your second post doesnt show up >.<
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems......

In 1gal tanks.....filters can be problematic for some Bettas as you found out....personally I would remove the filter and do twice weekly water changes 1-50% and 1-100% unless you have some live plants you could add....stem or floating work best and then twice weekly 50% should maintain water quality....

Right now I would leave out the filter and do a 50% water changes for the next couple of days to see if you can get him perked up any....since you seem to be in the tropics????you may or may not need a heater....your goal is a fairly stable temp in the 76-80F range......

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 
mabarcomb

Thank you!
I was doing weekly 100% changes. Twice weekly does sound like a better idea. Yes it is warm here :) the water temp is never below 70 indoors and proberbly in the 80-85 range. I keep him on the far wall away from the window, because I'm sure he would cook.

I guess I'll start looking at a bigger tank if I want to do the filter thing.
Any sugestions for a bigger tank? (brand) I don't really want one thst's to big... He sits in my office on a book shelf and low maint is key.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #6 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabarcomb View Post
Thank you!

I guess I'll start looking at a bigger tank if I want to do the filter thing.
Any sugestions for a bigger tank? (brand) I don't really want one thst's to big... He sits in my office on a book shelf and low maint is key.
Just look around for a good sale. Posters here are quick to point out online or retail sales. I know Petco had a 1 dollar per gallon tank sale a month or so back.

For your office a 2.5 or 5 gallon is perfect. I know there was an online sale for 19 bucks a week or so back.

I was on the hunt for a complete new setup and because of the posters here (never woulda known had they not shared, so thanks!) I purchased a 14 gallon with hood, filter, heater, thermometer, net "basically everything I needed but the gravel" for 39 bucks which was a steal!

Last edited by scootshoot; 03-21-2011 at 01:16 PM.
scootshoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 
Posaune

The tank is pretty forgiving, just look around. If you buy used, make sure that it's not cracked or leaking. I have a ten gallon tank right now I bought from wal-mart that came with a filter and it's working great. I had to put a sponge on the outflow to help stem the water current and put some live plants underneath it, but my betta, zebra danios, snail, and albino cory's are doing just fine. Scoot is right about the tank size, if you want it on a bookshelf I"d stick with 2.5 - 5 gallon. I keep my 10 gallons on an end table and on a desk. Good luck and hope your betta chippers up :)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #8 
mabarcomb

Thanks so much for the help! It took almost all day, but he is swimming around more now :)
That is a good idea to keep looking in this page for sale banners. I will do that.
Thanks again for all your help :)
PS: I would have posted a pic... but I'm having to much trouble with the loader. :-/
Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #9 
mabarcomb

I think I got it!
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #10 
Posaune

Beautiful fish :) Looks like my first betta (RIP) Little Guy lol. Glad he's doing better :)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote