Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #1 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Question How to make Betta grow in length?

I feed my fish only 1 kind of food (Tetra BettaMin). Every morning I give them just the flakes and during supper time I pick out and feed them only the dried brine shrimp included in the product. Once a month, if I have time (rarely), I hunt mosquito larvae for them. Iím changing the water twice a week (w/o any lapses). Iíve read about them releasing growth-stop hormones of some sort thatís why do it often to compensate with the volume of their tanks (1 gallon each).

However, it seems there is no noticeable growth of their bodies. My first Betta (3 months in residence) is still roughly 1 inch in length, about same length as the day that he was given to me. The others seem to display the same progress. Although, there is great improvement in their colors (so vivid now) and tiny tears on their fins and tails gets patched overnight, literally (maybe the effects of IAL, not sure), also fins tails and fins grow longer and larger but the only noticeable growth of their bodies is crosswise* (buffed but not bloated). They fail to grow lengthwise.*

Would live food make a difference, like microworms and such, or this is genetic in nature, since Iíve never seen, in person, a Betta more than 2 inches in any of the pet shops Iíve been to (domestically)?

*interchanged terms for dimensions for better description
19wEEdmAstEr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Don't worry about it. I've had Glitter, my male doubletail for a month and a half, and he's still only 1 1/4 inches in body length. Some Bettas are just smaller, or slow growers. But I would suggest switching to pellets, instead of flakes.. They are better for them, and easier to feed. Feed 2 pellets twice a day. You can still supplement their diet with the mosquito larvae. That's really good for them! I like the Aqua Culture brand from Walmart. My fish love it too.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Thanks! I would most definitely consider adding pellets with their diet.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

You're welcome. Like I said, it doesn't really matter if they're not growing in length, as long as they're healthy.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 
JKfish

hmm, since the sound young and still developting, some good people/breeders to talk to would be 1Fish2Fish, Mr.Vampire181, OldFishLady, Beat2020, MartinisMommy etc... You'll probably want to up the water changes, I'm not sure what sized tanks they are in, but I do know that most breeders help their fry to grow faster by doing massive water changes and feeding high quality foods.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wEEdmAstEr25 View Post
I feed my fish only 1 kind of food (Tetra BettaMin). Every morning I give them just the flakes and during supper time I pick out and feed them only the dried brine shrimp included in the product. Once a month, if I have time (rarely), I hunt mosquito larvae for them. Iím changing the water twice a week (w/o any lapses). Iíve read about them releasing growth-stop hormones of some sort thatís why do it often to compensate with the volume of their tanks (1 gallon each).

However, it seems there is no noticeable growth of their bodies. My first Betta (3 months in residence) is still roughly 1 inch in length, about same length as the day that he was given to me. The others seem to display the same progress. Although, there is great improvement in their colors (so vivid now) and tiny tears on their fins and tails gets patched overnight, literally (maybe the effects of IAL, not sure), also fins tails and fins grow longer and larger but the only noticeable growth of their bodies is crosswise* (buffed but not bloated). They fail to grow lengthwise.*

Would live food make a difference, like microworms and such, or this is genetic in nature, since Iíve never seen, in person, a Betta more than 2 inches in any of the pet shops Iíve been to (domestically)?

*interchanged terms for dimensions for better description
You should be doing 100% every other day.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #7 
JKfish

there we go... thanks for pointing that out Turtle, I guess I didn't read that.

And yes, I agree. 100% every other day is the way to go.... and I'm assuming their tanks are heated, right? Good temps (76-80* F) will increase their growth and keep them healthy.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #8 
Pekemom

In a tank that size, (one gallon) do you really want them much bigger? Your bettas sound healthy, happy and active. You're doing a great job! Enjoy them and don't worry about the body growth...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #9 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
there we go... thanks for pointing that out Turtle, I guess I didn't read that.

And yes, I agree. 100% every other day is the way to go.... and I'm assuming their tanks are heated, right? Good temps (76-80* F) will increase their growth and keep them healthy.
I've been doing that before (1st 2 weeks), 100% water change thrice a week but once I knew how much food each of them consume per feeding (ergo, not polluting the tank w/ uneaten food), I downgraded to twice a week. I will return to that rate as you have suggested. Anyway, it’s not backbreaking cleaning ‘em 1 gallon tanks. Hope it makes a difference in the long run.

Anyway, I think I don’t need a heater. We’re approaching summer in this part of the world. BTW, it’s still cold here at dawn (not that cold for you guys) so I turn on the lights an hour before sunrise to up the temperature a little bit. My fluorescent lamp’s ballast emits above average radiant heat (it’s substandard). Once, I’ve touched it just 20 minutes turned on and I learned a hard lesson. But it’s a good source of heat. I’ll just make sure that I won’t have any electrical mishaps in the future caused by that device.

Anyway, thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #10 
vilmarisv

Plenty of good foods is the key to a fast growing betta.
If I want to grow out a young fish, I feed bloodworms and high protein pellets 2-3 times a day. They grow like crazy! But when you're feeding that much is SUPER important to do 100% daily water changes because of the increased waste they will produce. Sometimes I even suction up the waste from the bottom of the tank between water changes.
You should discard the dried foods, they aren't the best choice for bettas. Go for frozen foods, high protein pellets, or live if you have the means. Always read the labels on your pellets, you want high protein content and some type of meat as the first ingredient (krill, bbs, herring, etc.)
Also, don't forget about exercising them! Get them to flare a few times a day so they can stretch those fins!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote