Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #11 
turtle10

Regardless of the amount of food being fed, bettas constantly secrete ammonia through their gills. You would still have to change their water every other day even if you didn't feed them (which is just an example, I know you wouldn't do that lol).
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #12 
xkatieebby

Why do you need to do constant water changes like that if the readings are perfectly fine?! I do a water change every weekend and I probably don't even need to do it that much(I only do it because I worry but the readings say otherwise). I have an unfiltered 2.5 gallon tank that I test REGULARLY and my readings are all fine. I feed my betta every other day. 2-4 pellets in the morning and night with occasional frozen shrimp brine for treat.
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #13 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkatieebby View Post
Why do you need to do constant water changes like that if the readings are perfectly fine?! I do a water change every weekend and I probably don't even need to do it that much(I only do it because I worry but the readings say otherwise). I have an unfiltered 2.5 gallon tank that I test REGULARLY and my readings are all fine. I feed my betta every other day. 2-4 pellets in the morning and night with occasional frozen shrimp brine for treat.
What testing method do you use? I would feed the betta every day, like 3 pellets in morning and 2 or 3 in evening.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #14 
xkatieebby

Well every other day is what the pet store people all told me from 3 different places, and I've been doing it for a little while now and my beta is just fine. My friends beta is fed everyday and he is fat. WAY FAT. It's sad. I want to tell him to stop feeding him as much.

The first week or two I had my beta I took my water to the pet store and they tested it for me, now I use one of these Master Test Kits I picked up and it tests for like everything, Acid, PH, Ammonia, Nitrate. All that stuff.

My tank has an Air Pump in it that I leave plugged in except for night, to ensure my betta gets a good rest as it is a BIT noisy sometimes. But not bad as I've muffled the pump itself.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #15 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkatieebby View Post
Well every other day is what the pet store people all told me from 3 different places, and I've been doing it for a little while now and my beta is just fine. My friends beta is fed everyday and he is fat. WAY FAT. It's sad. I want to tell him to stop feeding him as much.

The first week or two I had my beta I took my water to the pet store and they tested it for me, now I use one of these Master Test Kits I picked up and it tests for like everything, Acid, PH, Ammonia, Nitrate. All that stuff.

My tank has an Air Pump in it that I leave plugged in except for night, to ensure my betta gets a good rest as it is a BIT noisy sometimes. But not bad as I've muffled the pump itself.
Okay well pet store people don't usually know what they are talking about, so you should take their advice with a grain of salt. Your friend is probably feeding her fish differently, but it is best to do daily, small meals instead of big meals every other day. The reason you are supposed to do that many water changes is because you never want the betta to be exposed to the toxic ammonia, that is why I don't recommend waiting until you see the ammonia register.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #16 
xkatieebby

I check my water every other day. It's a really good test kit and my beta seems happy. I know I could up my feedings probably a bit but I don't see the necessity in changing the water that much if there is nothing wrong with it. Even when I change my water every weekend the readings are normal. I use a really nice water conditioner and everything. Sorry to push buttons but that's just my opinion and actions.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #17 
turtle10

Does it ever register ammonia or anything?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #18 
xkatieebby

I haven't let it go longer than a week, but in that time, no. It registered ammonia when I first set the tank up and everything but I dumped my little buddies whole container into the tank, so I think it was from his cup. He was all sad looking at the pet store, water dirty, not very nice.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #19 
bettafish15

Perhaps your test kit is one using strips, or it has expired?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #20 
xkatieebby

No it's brand new. I'm at work and forget the exact name of it, But it's one of those Master Test kits for freshwater.