Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #1 
phoenix91

New to betta fish

I'm new to betta fish and totally new to fish ownership in general. I bought my tank (a 3 gallon) one today and got gravel and a heater and thermometer and water stuff and water test strips. I'm going to set up my tank tonight and check the water and all that good stuff and i figured i'd either get my fish tomorrow or the day after.

As a newbie is there anything specific i need to know before i get my fish?

I have food, pellets i believe and some live plants for my tank, i plan to get some kind of hiding place (smooth sided) for my fishy too. Also, i'm leaning towards a male betta instead of a female, i know they look different but are there any other differences which i should consider before buying?
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #2 
Irish Dancing Man

Welcome to the forum! and the wonderful world of keeping fish.
You will have to make 50% water changes. For easy water changes you can buy a gravel filter, just make sure you don't suck up the fish water :p.
you want to have some fake plants and you have to get a good hiding place. Bettas LOVE to hide.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

You sound like you're on the right track with a good-sized tank and a heater! Did you get a filter? It's not necessary, but nice to have. In a filtered 3 gallon, you can do two 50% water changes a week. If it's unfiltered, you'll need to do a 50% or more change, and a 100% change every week.

Feed a good quality pellet (has meat sources listed as the first few ingredients). Generally feed 3-6 pellets per day, broken up into two feedings to help prevent bloat.

When you go to get your fish, look for one that is healthy. Fins in good condition, breathing easily, doesn't just lie/float there when you move the cup, but also doesn't dart around like a maniac. Make sure the fish you get doesn't have any fuzzy stuff or white dots on him/her.

There's not much difference between males and females, they both have a lot of personality! I have found my female to be more active than my males, but that just might be the individual personality of my fish. General care is pretty much the same.

Good luck!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #4 
Irish Dancing Man

Two 50% a week and then a 100%. thats over kill. I have 2 unfilter 3 gallons, with bubblers, i do 50-75% weekly water changes. And my fish only eat 1 pellet a day sometimes 2. If i give them 3 they get bloated for a day or two. Feeding all depends on you fish.. Start at like 4. If its to much and he gets bloated, fast him for a day and try 3. If he doesn't get bloated you could try 5. Then repeat other steps if he gets bloated or not
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 
phoenix91

Thanks for the replies.

I do have a filter and i checked with the petstore people and it's a whisper one that can be set really low. I'm going to have to learn how to do the water changes but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it. plus i got some live plants to help with the nitrate balance (that's the right thing right? wow, so new!)

i'll get some fake plants too to add as the tank is looking slightly sparse.

thanks for the advice on what to look for when i go to get my fish. i'll keep those things in mind.

Also with feeding i think i'll play it by ear and see how the new fish reacts to how much i feed it, i'll try very hard not to over feed. luckily i have pets so i'm used to dealing with rations of food. I'm mostly worried right now about my two cats. the tank i have has a lid which i'm going to make sure is very secure and i've set it all up tonight so they can get used to it before anything live goes into it.

I took a photo of my setup, any suggestions to make it better are welcome.

Name:  DSCF2037.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  97.0 KB
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #6 
gmd1800

Very nice setup! I would suggest you raise the water level to the very lip of the filter, so that there's not as much current. I have a very long finned male, and he's fine with the filter that I have (I believe it's the same one as yours). However, when the water level was a bit lower than the lip, and the water was pouring into the tank, he had some trouble swimming.

In other words, make sure that there's not a waterfall instead of a steady stream. Otherwise, I love the setup! I don't have them, but you could look into getting live plants at some point. I've heard they really help improve water quality.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #7 
Batty

I have my eye on a tank that looks just like this one :D
Batty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
Very nice setup! I would suggest you raise the water level to the very lip of the filter, so that there's not as much current. I have a very long finned male, and he's fine with the filter that I have (I believe it's the same one as yours). However, when the water level was a bit lower than the lip, and the water was pouring into the tank, he had some trouble swimming.

In other words, make sure that there's not a waterfall instead of a steady stream. Otherwise, I love the setup! I don't have them, but you could look into getting live plants at some point. I've heard they really help improve water quality.
Thanks, i'll raise the water level, i figured i probably would have to but i wanted to make sure all the stuff went in and no water poured out so i left the level a bit low.

those 2 plants are live plants, i'm not sure how long they'll live but they were cheap enough.

i'm really excited to go fish shopping tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #9 
gmd1800

Haha, my bad! Now that I look at the picture again, they ARE live plants! I don't know why I thought they were fake. Oops!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
Two 50% a week and then a 100%. thats over kill. I have 2 unfilter 3 gallons, with bubblers, i do 50-75% weekly water changes. And my fish only eat 1 pellet a day sometimes 2. If i give them 3 they get bloated for a day or two. Feeding all depends on you fish.. Start at like 4. If its to much and he gets bloated, fast him for a day and try 3. If he doesn't get bloated you could try 5. Then repeat other steps if he gets bloated or not
If you never do a 100% the ammonia keeps building up. Two 50%s and a 100% is not overkill.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote