Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Um, this is odd?

My VT Dumbo is acting perfectly healthy! Great color, no ich or fin rot, nothing. But when he flares, only one gill cover is raised! Is this a major problem? Will he be okay?
He lives in a 1.2 gallon vase. I know, it's not much, but it's the best I can do. He is happy! He builds bubblenests after every water change.
I preform 50% water changes every day, and 100% once every 2 weeks. I know that's not often enough, but I can't do it more because my mom won't let me. If the water's clear, it's clean. That's her motto.
His water temp is 80 right now. It goes down to about 78 at night, because I don't have a heater in his tank. But my house is stifling.
Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #2 
turtle10

You should tell your mom that ammonia and the chemicals are clear. Just like carbon monoxide; we can't see it or smell it but it is still deadly.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

I know! I tried explaining it, but she gets grouchy every time I clean the tank, even every 2 weeks! But I keep up with partials every day, and Dumbo is fine. Will his gill be a problem? Does it hurt him?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
BettaHeart

why does she get grouchy when shes not the one cleaning it?
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
turtle10

It might. It is just that with out 100% every single week the ammonia builds up. I don't understand why she gets grouchy? It is a living animal. In something that size you should do 100% every other day. That would cut back on the amount too, since it would only be every other day instead of everyday.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #6 
Creat

If he is acting healthy and happy thats good. When he flares are his gills healthy and pink on the inside and not red , if they are pink he should be fine and he probably just has a little defect and I dont think will hurt or annoy him.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #7 
turtle10

The ammonia could be affecting his gills^
Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

See, we had a betta that lived for 4 years in the same vase, and he was a great betta! The only family pet. His name was Penny. She only changed his water when it was cloudy, and our tap water is safe so she didn't use conditioner. I use conditioner anyway, just to be safe, and my tanks are never cloudy! But because Penny was fine, she thinks my bettas are with the same water schedule. She gets grouchy because of the water bill and because it stresses out the fish. Plus, I'd love to do it exccessively, (2x a week, 100% water changes and partials on the rest of the days). Like, I know Dumbo is fine and happy, but he'd be better with more water changes. And my mom knows it's a living animal! She's a great mom. But she doesn't understand my love of bettas, ya know? I cleaned Dumbo's tank Friday night, and I've done partials every day since then.
Sorry, just saw the other posts! His gills have always looked the way they do in the pics. Dark, with a little red. All of my bettas have red gill covers, I think it's just the natural color of them. :)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #9 
turtle10

Okay well just because he survived in those conditions does not mean he was healthy or at his full potential. There is a difference between surviving and thriving. I wish you could get away with more changes :(

Don't you think ammonia poisoning is more stressful than a water change?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #10 
turtle10

You would also be using the same amount of water, and doing less water changes.