Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #1 
LaniBaby

possible slime coat loss...help?

So my new guy, apache, has been with me one week. He's currently in a 1.5 gallon with a heater and plants and marbles. Just this evening I noticed a strange, slimy sort of whitish stuff stuck to one of the fake grasses. I've already done a 25% water change on him this week and was planning a full water change tomorrow. DId he drop his slime coat for some reason? anyone know what that could be?

Thanks.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #2 
Cravenne

Sometimes water conditioners can create a slimy substance. Have you switched conditioners recently?
I've seen a lot of posts similar to this with conditioners that contain aloe vera.
If it's stringy and white, it could be poo..I believe stringy and white poop signals internal parasites. That will require treatment.
A picture would be helpful.

Also..in anything unfiltered(actually...even if it has a filter), and under 2G, I'd suggest 100% changes every other day. 100% changes are the only way to completely remove ammonia.

With your next water change, check your dosage of water condtioner..if you're adding too much it can create a build up. Also check and see if there is aloe vera in it..(if there is, I'd buy a different conditioner next time).

To my knowledge, fish don't 'shed' their slimecoat like a dog sheds their fur.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #3 
LaniBaby

i've heard about slime coat shedding before, which is why i'd asked. i'm actually only using dechlor, not a "conditioner" as it were. i'm going to put in some betta spa this time as well as the dechlor and i'm doing the 100% change now.
thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #4 
Cravenne

What brand of dechlorinator is it?

If he's acting normal, eating well, no marks or spots on him then I'd just continue a more frequent water change schedule and keep your eye on him.

Good luck :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #5 
LaniBaby

he seems to be ok so far, no issues. it's called "dechlor." i got it at the LFS here. they recommended it.
i'm going in tomorrow night for the bigger tank. yay!