Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 
Tangeh

Peeling sores?

I have a male betta (his name is Alpha Neptune... "Alphie" for short :3) that's been living in a 1.5 gal., filtered but unheated tank since about October (I believe). I typically keep my room heated above room temperature (it's at about 23-24 degrees celsius right now) to compensate... I just can't find a heater small enough that I trust not to boil my fish. My mom won't let me get a bigger tank. :(

Anyways, about three weeks ago I went on vacation and transferred Alphie's tank to my Grandmother's house for a week. When I got back the poor thing was hiding behind his filter and there was tons of excess flakes sitting at the top. The water hadn't been changed either and there was lots of algae. I probably should have given my grandmother stricter instructions, but at least he lived.. xD

So I got him home, changed his water. It took a few days, but he came out from behind his filter and was swimming around normally again. I think it was around this time that I noticed he had a white-ish patch on top of him, just before the dorsal fin. I couldn't remember if this was normal or not, and he seemed fine, so I just ignored it. (this was two weeks ago)

An hour ago I noticed that the white patch is gone, and it looks like he has two sores in its place. It looks like in humans if you have a blister that's peeling off. Alphie's acting normal but it was rather alarming. I tested for ammonia and it came up as "0".

I've attached pictures... He's a bit camera shy, so it was hard. :P And if the tank looks really green... that's because I haven't cleaned it since Thursday. Usually I clean and do 50% water changes twice a week. The algae builds up super fast. :(

Pictures: http://oi53.tinypic.com/nbace0.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2cxhwr8.jpg
http://oi53.tinypic.com/11vgyys.jpg

I'll see if I can get more pictures tomorrow... in all three you can clearly see the bigger sore. In the second one, you can see the smaller sore on the side as well.

Is this bad? Should I get any medication or anything for it?
Tangeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #2 
Tangeh

Today the open sores look like they've been covered in the white stuff again... It's still pretty obvious where they are though. The white stuff just looks like a thin layer, it look like if I tried I could peel it off (NOT SAYING I WOULD, just that's how I would describe it lol). He's still acting normal.

I'm actually going by a pet store about twenty minutes away anyways in about two hours, but I want to know if I should pick up anything, and what to pick up? The only pet store chain around here is called Pets Unlimited. Dunno if that info is useful at all, but I'm js.

Help? :(
Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #3 
Welsh

It could be a fungus infection. Have you tried using aquarium salt? I don't believe in using medications etc but what I would do is quarantine him in a separate container and add the suggested dosage of salt to the water. This would make it easier to perform daily water changes :) also raising the temperature of the water gradually to about.....85F would help him recover faster, if you don't have a heater then position a lamp over his tank but make sure to keep an eye on the temperature :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #4 
ParisRose

I really really wish I could help. I'd say increase water changes that's usually the cause of most diseases. I might venture to say fungus but I don't have any experience there. Someone more experienced might suggest a salt bath.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #5 
Tangeh

I've never used aquarium salt and I don't own any, I guess I'll look for some at the store today.

And what do you mean by a separate container? I don't have another tank... do you mean like a large bowl or something?

I don't have a thermometer for his tank (I don't have a heater so I figured there was no point because I can't do anything about temperature anyways). Should I look for one of those too?

Thank you for your reply. :)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #6 
Welsh

Yeah like a quarantine tank, you don't have to its just easier to perform daily water changes from my experience and as salt doesn't evaporate, it will take a few good water changes to remove it from your tank. If you can then I would have to recommend you get both the thermometer and heater, as you probably know temperature fluctuates from day to night which isn't good on the fish. However if you can't get the heater today then at least get a thermometer, so you can keep an eye on the temperature and notice if its slightly too high or too cold :)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #7 
Tangeh

Alrighty, I'll look for a small heater & thermometer at the store. I really don't think they sell heaters small enough though. If I remember correctly, there's a dollar store near the pet store that sells fish bowls, I think that would be good for a quarantine tank...

Thank you for your help. :)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #8 
Welsh

You are very welcome :)

A heater I wouldn't recommend but others might is the hydro mini heater, its made for smaller tanks but only keeps your water a few degrees above water temperature. I personally didn't find it useful but I live in a cold country, however even in the summer when it got pretty darn hot it still didn't make much of a difference :)

Good luck :)
Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #9 
Tangeh

Okay, the pet store I went to sold 10w heaters (by marina)... for $30. That seemed a bit crazy to me, especially since that's the price of a 200w heater at walmart. So I didn't purchase it. If absolutely necessary, I can go back and get it... *shrug*

I did however get a floating thermometer by marina... I only put it in ten minutes ago, but it's reading 22 Celsius (or 72 Fahrenheit). Alphie was curious for about five minutes, swimming around it and poking it... then he went and sat at the bottom. Unusual behavior, I think? I've noticed him doing that a bit today. :(

I also got some aquarium salt ("Freshwater Aquarium Salt" by Nutrafin). However, the directions read: "use one level tablespoon for every five gallons of aquarium water. Gradually increase water temperature to 80 degrees F and maintain for 24-36 hours. Aeration and filtration should be at peak level." I didn't bother getting the fishbowl (too tiny to be worth it), so if I found a 1 gallon container lying around, then I would put in 1/5 of a tablespoon, correct? There would be no filtration or aeration, is this okay? I'm not sure how to reliably increase the temperature to 80 degrees and keep it there either. :P
Old 03-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 
Welsh

72 degrees is low for a betta, ideally it should be between 78F-80F Do you have a desk lamp you could use, to put over his tank? Just a slight raise in temp will make him a lot happier and comfortable, you can then use this method until you find a decent heater; i'm sure some of the folks on here from your neck of the woods can help you out with that situation :)

In the quarantine tank no filtration is fine, just remember to do 100% daily water changes ,with de-chlorinated water and keep his bowl warm :)