Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #1 
roypattonphoto

cloudy water fix??

i just moved my Sorority from the 5gal into a 14g the other night, when i first filled the 14g i dropped my BettaSafe Fizz Tablets in it (1 for every 2 gals; so total of 7) i let the heater get the water set to the same temp as my 5gal (78*) the let the filter run through for about 2hrs... filter is an AquaTech 10-20gal cascade style .... so i figure thats ok..

at first my water was clear with the standard bubbles along the sides of the tank when u first fill a tank, added my girls, and shortly after the water starts to get a bit cloudy ... is this just normal "cycle" behavior for the tank? i purchased at my LPS "Crystal Clear" is supposed to help clean up the cloudiness (1 drop for ever gal)..... it still seems a bit cloudy to me.... is it just me looking for a problem? or is there something else i should be looking at or doing to make the cloud go away so i have a crystal clear tank... my 5gal did it too and i figured the 5 gal was just too small of a tank, even now 2 days after its still cloudy (5gal has the MarineLand Bio-Wheel, ive seen these setup and are crystal clear, but ive done what im told and just cant seem to get it cloud free)...

any suggestions?

Thanks...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #2 
JD3P

Try using carbon, you just need to put it in a pouch and tie it tight and put it in the filter. Follow the directions on the container for how much to use. I'm assuming your filter already has carbon but from my own experience adding additional carbon has worked great. Just make sure that if you ever treat your fish that you remove all carbon otherwise the medication will just get absorbed and not work.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #3 
roypattonphoto

i plan on getting a a couple 2g tanks for the instances of a sick fish and ihave to treat....

my aquatech has the blue filters that have the carbon in it,... the extra carbon isnt going to hurt the fish and isnt going to be crazy unsightly in the tank?

i was talking to someone today at the local tropical fish store, which i quickly left after seeing conditions of there tanks and some of the fish, was asking them about it and someone tried to tell me i had to get an air stone and put in the tank... i was like WTF ! thats what the my big filter is for lol...i figured they were just making a paycheck and had no idea what they were talking about and left....
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #4 
JD3P

When you are treating your fish in the 2gallon tanks using medication it is a good idea to use an air stone. That way the medication is moving around the tank and not laying at the bottom. Also use a mini-heater if you can it helps with healing. As far as the extra carbon hurting the fish...I haven't had any problems...you can add half the required dosage if you would feel more comfortable and see if it's enough. It generally takes about one to three days for my tanks to clear up completely after adding additional carbon. You're also supposed to change it every six weeks. Basically what the carbon is doing is absorbing pollutants. I found this article that explains it a little better. http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/106

As for the carbon being unsightly, no, because you need to put it in a pouch/ bag (I just use old stocking/ pantyhose and cut out a square than put the activated carbon in it, tie it in a knot, rinse it well and than place it within the back of the filter with the other carbon.) It shouldn't be seen at all.

About the airstone helping to reduce cloudiness I didn't notice that help me out at all. If anything it just stirred more stuff around, lol but I think that varies from tank to tank. Betta's don't need an airstone anyway and prefer stagnant water, sometimes the filter is even too much. And good idea for not listening to them because most of the people hired are young with no background. Sometimes it's just a better idea to research yourself.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 
roypattonphoto

thanks! I will head either to petco or petsmart and pick some up while I get the new gravel and decor for the 4gal in prep for my male...
Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #6 
xkatieebby

When I got my new 2.5 tank/decor I cleaned everything and set it up. After a few days it turned cloudy. I went to my local pet store and bought Cloudy Water For Dummies(They are drops) And used it the way it was supposed to be used. After about two days, it cleared up just fine.
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote