Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #11 
Luimeril

i've NEVER heard of treating fin rot with epsom salt. i've always used Aquarium salt, and am using it now to treat Ichi's fin rot. you can't go to walmart and get aquarium salt? or, even, what's it called? Kosher salt without the yellow caking agent junk in it?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #12 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
Okay, poor Sumo :(
He's going to HATE being in QT sooo much.... at least i can put one of his anubias in there i guess.. hmm. How long should I keep him in there?
It will be a half gallon QT container
The treatment is 10 days. :/ I dont know if your anubias will be okay with the salt, but I havent heard anything about it. Remember to pre-mix the salted pre-conditioned water well!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #13 
peachesxo

apparently kosher salt and epsom salt are the same thing//ingrediant...

and walmarts don't exist here it's illegal for them to operate within the city under our laws, closest one is like 2 and a half hours away out in the boonies >_<
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #14 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
apparently kosher salt and epsom salt are the same thing//ingrediant...

and walmarts don't exist here it's illegal for them to operate within the city under our laws, closest one is like 2 and a half hours away out in the boonies >_<
Hm.. maybe it really isnt a good idea to use the epsom salt... maybe just try super clean water? I posted what I knew 'cause I wanted to help, but maybe I'm not helping here >.<
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #15 
Luimeril

xD oh, wow! really?

.___. i never heard of that. sure don't taste the same. >3>(yes. i've accidentally tasted both aquarium salt, and epsom salt in the past. xD)

i still swear by Aquarium Salt, and am iffy about using Espom salt. xD just the way my mind works.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #16 
peachesxo

lol, well epsom is in a chunkier form originally but once it's broken down and dissolved i'm pretty sure it's just non-iodized salt like kosher and aquarium salt...

the LFS owner said she uses it as well as Aquarium salt which i don't think she'd lie about because she could have just told me to come back when they got it in (in 4 days) so that i would have bought it//spent money there, but instead told me to get epsom from somewhere else so i could start treatment now... and didn't even recommend u get him any harsh meds because it is in the very very beginning stages and not in any severe form yet.

i'll watch him closely

&yeah in regards to the walmart thing, our provincial government thinks they "emit too much carbon/greenhouse gas and take way too much profit away from every other business/small business around" so they aren't allowed within the city and need to be far ways away from it as well so if people want to go there to get the cheap cheap prices they need to spend a bunch of money on gas ect// inconvienently plan out the trip there instead lol

Last edited by peachesxo; 03-23-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #17 
Luimeril

>.> i've had pet store employees give me false info before. for example: a channel catfish can live happily in my 10 gallon. o.o no, HE was happy. my other fish died.

honestly, clean, warm water will help it heal. the salt, just keeps things clean and kills off any bacteria. o3o
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #18 
turtle10

Epsom salt is for boating, aquarium salt is for wounds and the like. Epsom and aquarium salt are made of different elements, so they don't treat the same thing. Epsom salt is made out of magnesium, sulfer, and oxygen. Kosher is made of sodium chloride. Aquarium salt is also sodium chloride.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #19 
peachesxo

its been clean and warm forever and he is totally healthy otherwise but his tail fins are slowly deteroriating at some of the ends, when i first noticed it i thought it was just me being nuts, but there's defs something happening there which is why i got the salttt
Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #20 
Luimeril

what's his tail type? o.o