Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #1 
Deadpool

Hydor mini heater

I picked up this heater tonight. I hear a lot of good stuff about this heater, but a lot of bad stuff too. Has anyone tried it?
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #2 
redbettagirl

I have the 7.5 Watt. It works really well in my 2-gallon to keep the temperature at 78-81F (26-27C) in my 62-70F (17-21C) condo. I also like how flat it is, so that it doesn't take up a lot of space in the tank. The only downside to the heater is that it's not programmable. Consequently, the temperature in the tank fluctuates with room temperature. At first, make sure to use it with a thermometer. If your room ever reaches above 75F (24C), make sure to unplug the heater. I would recommend it for small tanks!
redbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #3 
Deadpool

My house is always set to about 69-70 degrees. I'm doing a test with it by keeping it in a kritter keeper filled with water in the room I keep the aquarium in, just to see how the temperature might be. Because already its gone to 78 degrees, which is higher than my tetra submersible heater which always keeps the tank at 76 or 77.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Some people have had good luck with it. Mine gets much hotter than it's supposed to, and seriously overheats my tanks. Other people say it doesn't get warm enough. Other people say it works perfectly. You never know, since you already bought it, give it a try and see if it works for you.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbettagirl View Post
I have the 7.5 Watt. It works really well in my 2-gallon to keep the temperature at 78-81F (26-27C) in my 62-70F (17-21C) condo. I also like how flat it is, so that it doesn't take up a lot of space in the tank. The only downside to the heater is that it's not programmable. Consequently, the temperature in the tank fluctuates with room temperature. At first, make sure to use it with a thermometer. If your room ever reaches above 75F (24C), make sure to unplug the heater. I would recommend it for small tanks!
Not trying to hijack the thread.
But I have been thinking about getting the same exact heater. I didn't because I was worried it might cook my betta. Our house temperature stays at 77degrees. Do you think it would be too hot to use this heater for my betta in his 2 gallon if the house temp. stays at 77? I do like that it is flat, but I don't want to spend 15 dollars on a heater I wont use if it gets too hot. I might have to find something else to work.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

I like hydors for mini tanks... But as previously mentioned make sure you test it. As with any other heat its always a good idea to let it heat up the tank for several hours (preferably 24) to ensure it works properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #7 
Ariel1719

I bought that for when Bacardi was sick and to be honest I was not impressed with it... I threw it out after he passed. For my 2.5 minibowls I use a marineland 'up to 3gal' heater. Love those ones.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

IMO they aren't good for anything over 2 gallons... Even my 2 gallons they only heat to 76
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #9 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread.
But I have been thinking about getting the same exact heater. I didn't because I was worried it might cook my betta. Our house temperature stays at 77degrees. Do you think it would be too hot to use this heater for my betta in his 2 gallon if the house temp. stays at 77? I do like that it is flat, but I don't want to spend 15 dollars on a heater I wont use if it gets too hot. I might have to find something else to work.
I don't think you need a heater at all if the water stays close to that.

Generally water will run a couple degrees under the air temp, you can bring this up by putting plastic over most the top to reduce evap.

If the 2 gallon has a power filter or air pump operated filter those will keep it warm just fine. (in the winter I put my air pump on top of my "space heater" thousand watt computer, it pulls in warm air that it pumps into the tanks)

My 2gal petco hex stay at 78 degrees in 72 degree house if I run the lights about 10 hours a day.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #10 
newfiedragon

I have that heater in my 1.5g tank and it works fine. I have a thermometer in there and I check the temp every day to make sure, but I've never had a problem with it.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote