Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #1 
demonr6

Snail went exploring, went splat..

Overnight I guess our snail decided to wander off and venture on his own. He made it four feet from the tank. Unfortunately it was gravity that took him to his final destination. My wife found him this morning on the tile floor. The top of his shell is cracked up pretty bad and missing a sizeable piece. We thought for sure he was dead not knowing how long they can last out of water but more important the huge hole in his shell and the obvious trauma from this whole ordeal. I put him in one of our QT containers where I first saw the damage and thought that was it.. well, he's alive. I just saw his little tentacle thingee's out look out and he is making a go at it. I am concerned though at the condition of his shell and how damaged it is. Any ideas on what to do? I am going to stop at the LFS and see if they can look through the snails for empties. Last time I was at the LFS buying a new snail they must have looked at five or six I liked and they were all empty. Would he move into the new home on his own without my messing around with him at all? Thanks!
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Overnight I guess our snail decided to wander off and venture on his own. He made it four feet from the tank. Unfortunately it was gravity that took him to his final destination. My wife found him this morning on the tile floor. The top of his shell is cracked up pretty bad and missing a sizeable piece. We thought for sure he was dead not knowing how long they can last out of water but more important the huge hole in his shell and the obvious trauma from this whole ordeal. I put him in one of our QT containers where I first saw the damage and thought that was it.. well, he's alive. I just saw his little tentacle thingee's out look out and he is making a go at it. I am concerned though at the condition of his shell and how damaged it is. Any ideas on what to do? I am going to stop at the LFS and see if they can look through the snails for empties. Last time I was at the LFS buying a new snail they must have looked at five or six I liked and they were all empty. Would he move into the new home on his own without my messing around with him at all? Thanks!
Is he an apple snail?If so, I believe you can repair their shells head over to applesnail.net
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #3 
demonr6

I think the snail has expired. Last seen it was bulging out of the gaping hole in his little shell. It was not pretty. We will see later if it really is alive at all.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

http://www.applesnail.net/
Theres a sticky under the "snail health problems" ..titled "when to patch".
It has pretty good info.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Awe! I am sorry for your loss.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Sorry about your snail.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 
demonr6

Well, I am not sure how he made it but he is alive.. sort of. When we came home I expected to see a dead, festering snail in a cup of water but he was moving albeit in a horrible state of affairs. As you can see from the images below his shell is pretty much destroyed. Not only does he have a sizeable piece missing (can't find it anywhere on the floor) but it is also split completely around the entire circumference of the shell. Being that it is in the area of his internal organs I am not sure if it will pull though. I did go to the Apple snail forum and did some reading. They said to use marine epoxy so I ran out and bought it. No luck. I had a really hard time getting it to adhere to his shell for starters and the technique of taking an eggshell and using it to mosaic on his shell seems easy in theory but in real life it is a *insert expletive here*. We fought with it for hours trying to get it to work. The damage is extensive as you can see here. I registered for the forum to try and post and see if I could ask for help but the stupid forum requires administrator approval and here I am seven hours later and nothing. I cannot even log in to it.. It's so sad, the poor little thing. I am trying to figure out what to do without making it worse for him. He probably suffered internal injuries at a good four foot fall from the counter and had to have been there for hours because the shell was fully dried out and he was way tucked in there. Unfortunately that was causing more injury since the more he receded, parts of him bulge from the broken shell and the cracks.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

OMG - that poor, poor creature! :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #9 
demonr6

Well, the site said use marine epoxy putty to repair the shell. The rest is up to guessing. Can't get the epoxy on the actual snail and use an eggshell, breaking it to make a protective cover. Now what they don't say is the epoxy is a b* to work with, the snail being small makes it harder, getting the right size is a mess, then getting it to adhere to the putty is a nightmare oh and when you are done the poor snail now has a hunk of cement on its back making it freaking impossible to right itself. Other than that, it was a breeze. I am pretty sure there is a dead snail waiting for me when I get home from work.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #10 
pumpkinspikepie

Poor little guy. I think it's great that you tried, though.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote