Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 
Suzbettafish

Question I'm not sure what is wrong with my new betta

I got Rocky one week ago today. He was fine till about Wed and he slowed down, very lethargic. Hanging in a corner not moving for hours. Continues this way all week. no change. I tested the water and the Ph was high along with nitrates and nitrites. So I did a 25% water change. Using a siphon I felt I cleaned up the bottom. I did change the filter and I am not sure why, I guess I just thought I should have. I am thinking now that I have done some reading I should not have. Any way, this morning I check the water and the Ph is better not great (from 8.5 to 8.0), nitrates and nitrites the same. My test kit are strips. I took out the decorations and siphoned another 50% of the water and added more treated tap water. I cleaned the decorations with hot water and replaced. I have been using the aquarium salt too. He now has swam around a couple times but he still just hangs at the top of the water not moving. His fins are close to his body. He is not eating (hasnt' since Wed.). I have a heater and the therm. reads 80. It is a 2 gallon hexagon tank.
I just feel really bad. I lost a betta (Violet) last week that I had for 2 years. I don't want to lose Rocky so soon. I really like him and had got attached those first few days because he was so fun to watch.
Any words of advice? I am willing to do whatever I can to make him feel better!
Thank You!
Suzbettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

This Thread is better placed in the emergency forum...
Please read and fill out the sticky about tank specs there to help us. I know you listed most, bit it will make it easier for people to reference quickly.
what I'm thinking is perhaps youre not aclimating him correctly?
And if you have nitrate and nitries, you shouldn't change the filter. I think you're testing the wrong thing. You should be testing ammonia instead. Strips are not at all accurate, so get a liquid ammonia test..
Can you get us pictures? That might help.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #3 
Suzbettafish

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 G
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, betta fiz, aquaium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ? I think 0 My test strips are not very good
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate:20
pH:8.0
Hardness:1000
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes. Please see previous post
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, not that I know of. I just got him 7 days ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure

I am sorry I didn't realize there was a seperate thread for emergencies. I see it now. I am new to this. I bought Sticky's book and I think it has helped but I really appreciate your advice PewPewPew. I did learn that I should not have changed the filter, thank you for confirming this. I will know not to do that again.

He strarted swimming around last night and even flared up at me when I came up to him but this morning he is back at just laying there at the top of the tank. I feel so bad that I am doing something wrong to this little guy.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Your tank's Nitrate levels are high- I would do at least a 25% water change right now.
I dont think your tank is still cycled anymore since the filter was changed, so you need to go back to doing regular water changes- I'd do, in a 2 gallon bowl with a filter (new or otherwise!) about 50% every other day. If you have a gravel vac or siphon (or even a turkey baster c;) , use that to suck up poo and other wastes to make it even cleaner. Considering your fish isnt feeling too great, I'd do a 100% sometime in that week, like on a Sat or Sun to help him out. Dont worry about it recycling for a while, just focus more on him getting well.

I think once your water change schedual gets a little better, he'll perk up. Discontinue the AQ salt for now. Btw- AQ salt should Not* be used more than 7-10 days at a time. It is used to heal open wounds and does not and shouldnt really be always present in the tank unless something is wrong.

Your ph is okay, dont worry about it. Messing with it might bring about more issues than you currently have!

If you can, invest in a few stemmed plants like anacharis, hornwort or cabomba (though your tank needs to be under 77') to help with ammonia, they'll eat it right up. This will allow your changes to be slightly less and your tank will cycle faster when you stop doing 100% changes.

Btw- invest in a liquid test kit. Strips are laughably innacurate! This is why Im stressing a water change, because I have a feeling your levels are higher. Its also a better bang for your buck. API makes an ammonia test as well as a master (for cycling) that are fantastic.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #5 
Suzbettafish

Thank you!!
I am at work so I will be doing this as soon as I get home in a few hours. Thank you sooo much for this information. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

No problem. I hope things work out well for you and that things get better. Let us now how your fish feels a few hours after you do these things. C;
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #7 
Suzbettafish

Exclamation Pics of Rocky

Name:  Rockysick.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  91.5 KB
These are pics of Rocky now. He is still alive although he doesn't look it in these pics. I did the 50% water change, and cleaned up the bottom with the siphon and cleaned all of his accessories. I added a real plant. I added Stresszyme. I bought the liquid ammonia test. Should I just wait to check the ammonia levels a few hours after the water change?

Name:  Rockysick2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  rockysick4.jpg
Size:  88.2 KB
He perks up and swims around if I bother him but after he lies there for a few minutes it looks like he is laying on his side?
I am going to post a pic of him on the first day I got him.

Thanks again for your help!!
I hope he knows I am really trying to help him, I am in love! Don't want to lose him!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #8 
Suzbettafish

Unhappy This is what Rocky looked like when I brought him home

Name:  rockypretty1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  110.9 KB
This is what ROcky looked like on his first day here.
Name:  rockysfirstday.jpg
Size:  93.5 KB
I miss seeing him like this!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Wow... Thats abig difference. I cant tell from the photos, but he looks like he's covered in a whiteish film. Is this correct? His fins are badly clamped, too..

I have to ask, but are you sure there is no REGULAR salt in that tank?! He almost looks like a freshwater fish would when in salt water... Ive seen it before...

Can you give us better pictures? Try setting the camera to "macro" the setting that looks like a flower?

Im very concerned with how he looks right now..
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #10 
Suzbettafish

better pics?

No, I promise I didn't use regular salt. I have the aq salt. Could I have used too much? I don't see a white film but I did notice it looks like his color is fading a little.
I tried to take some better pictures. Sorry, I only have my phone to take pictures.
It's been 2.5 hours since I did the water change and he doesnt look any better.
I am really worried.
Name:  rockysick6.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  rockysick7.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  rockysick8.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  rockysick9.jpg
Views: 118