Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #1 
milhouse88

Unhappy Losing color/fin rot

Hello. I just found this forum. We've been getting advice from the pet store where we found him and then from a more fish based pet store where we started buying plants. This is our first betta.

Nin is losing his color. It started on his fins, and then his body started losing it's color as well. His fins have always been kind of ragged and stringy looking, but after seeing pictures I'm wondering if this is fin rot. The people we've been asking say we have nothing to worry about, but it appears to be getting worse. He swims, eats, makes bubble nests about the same as he always has. The white spots on his body don't look 'cottony' to me and there are no little white spots (ick?) that I can see. It just looks like the color is gone.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon, filled half way
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes, low flow. only run a couple hours a day
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none currently. a snail for a couple months

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari betta bio-gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day (5 pellets)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/2. We had been doing 100% every other month, but was told that was too often
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? instant DeChlor

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0 to .5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 0-20
pH: 8.2
Hardness: 100 (but sometimes a little higher)
Alkalinity: 8.2

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? loss of color on fins, then body. Fins are more ratty.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API Liquid Fungus for a week, then API Bettafix for a week
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? he's been here for 5 months

Here are some pictures:
The spot on his side and his fins

The other side:

Ratty fins:

Thanks for any help!
milhouse88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....by the looks of the fins....IMO it is environment related......

What I would do....QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a stable water temp in the 76-77F range and start Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days....if you have tannins to add all the better....either IAL or dried oak leaf will work for tannins....

You can pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water...add the salt and tannins to dissolve and steep.....shake well and equalize temp before use.....this will make water changes and correct dosage easier.......

Once the treatment is completed I would then place in a 1gal container unfiltered and start twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100%.....

Once fins grow back and this time will vary from 1 week to months......place him back in the full to the top with water 5gal tank....either keep the filter running 24/7 or remove it all together...make sure nothing is in the tank that can snag and tear the delicate fins.....

Water changes on the 5g filtered...50% twice weekly
Unfiltered 5gal.....50% twice weekly with 100% monthly unless you add live plants either stem and/or floating....then water changes 50% weekly regardless of filtration....

Nutrition is also very important for healing and fin regrowth.....high protein fed in small amount several times a day.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 
milhouse88

Thanks for the advice. I'll get started. Any particular food recommendation?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #4 
milhouse88

Now that I'm doing this I have some more questions. Am I supposed to change the whole tank for 10 days? Refilling it how much? Why not go to a smaller container now if I'm doing 100%?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse88 View Post
Now that I'm doing this I have some more questions. Am I supposed to change the whole tank for 10 days? Refilling it how much? Why not go to a smaller container now if I'm doing 100%?
Aw don't make him go smaller, he probably loves his 2.5 gallons. I wouldn't go any smaller than that.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #6 
vaygirl

If you re-read OFL's advice, she told you to use a smaller container, floating in your main tank (in order to keep temp constant). :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #7 
turtle10

Oh I thought he meant permanently.

Yeah for treatment a smaller container is best.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Take OFL's advice, she knows what's up ;D Clean water makes a happy betta. A happy, swimmingy betta makes a happy caregiver who can enjoy their friend at his best C:
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #9 
milhouse88

I apologize for my confusion, but I'm lost now. Maybe's there a FAQ you can point me to; but if I'm 100% changing the tank, what does the smaller container do?
And if I'm 100% the tank should I just take all the gravel and plants out until this is resolved? I know from experience he doesn't like the tank changes and lays low for a day or so after. If all the plants get moved, he doesn't know his swim path.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #10 
turtle10

You put the betta in the small container and do the 100% water changes there. Smaller containers are often used for treatment because it is easier to do 100% water changes. You don't treat him in the main tank.