Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #1 
Twilight Storm

Exclamation large pieces of skin floating in water! help please :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78oF
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, it's been in her kitchen for 3 years w/ no problems untill recently
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None now she had gotten a live plant from petsupplies plus that is now taken out

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta bio gold-baby pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day (until past three days now doing 100% water changes on her fish)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% now daily
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? some kind of grey bottle of declor with a koi on the front she always used

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? looks like he has shed skin peeling off him and large flakes of it are floating in the water (skin shows scale outlines) also had dandilion growths of fungus looking stuff on the two long fins that hang down last night
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? loss of appitite, kind of just lays on the bottom of the tank, has a hard time coming to the top for air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? laying around and loss of appitite day before yesterday. last night:fungus looking growth on his two fins. This morning: large pieces of skin peeling off and floating in tank, lating at bottom, has a hard time coming to the top for air. Doesn't have much gill movement.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API aquarium salt and hikari betta revive (it was the only thing I had that remotely said anything about treating fungus)that was started last night, and with a 100% bowl change about a half hour ago
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? roughly 3 years maybe 2 1/2 fish is about the size of my thumb.

Hi, i'm new here. I had problems logging in or I would have posted last night. I am not sure whats wrong with her fish but if anyone can help before he dies it would be appreciated. My mom is very upset. There were no problems with her fish until the live plant went into the bowl. which they said would "be good for the fish" it was one of those moss ball things.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #2 
Twilight Storm

Also the water she uses is the kind from those water machines at the grocery store that she de-clors before putting the fish in.

BTW- Her fish is named Moose and I am pretty sure she used the same net she uses on her betta in another fish tank. If it's even remotely contagious how should I treat the tanks so all her other fish don't die
Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sadly this may be age related.....but I would go ahead and get her in a small QT container and start high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes with the salt water for 10 days.....

Good luck and keep us posted....and welcome to the forum.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #4 
Twilight Storm

Thank you for the reply oldfishlady. Should I keep up with the betta revive as well as the 3tsp salt per gallon? or will that much salt kill the dandelion fungus stuff?

The evil moss ball has it's own dollar store bowl it's living in (about a cup and a half of water) I am glad I didn't get one. The moss ball was bought the same place I got my little guy. It came out of an aquarium with other kinds of fish living in it. Live plants now scare the bejesus out of me.

Thank you for the welcome btw. I am trying to learn all I can so I can make my own little guy happy and comfortable.

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 04-14-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot to say thank you to oldfishlady for welcoming me
Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I wouldn't use the Betta revive along with the high dose of salt...

Don't be afraid of live plants-often they get a bad rap and blamed for things they had nothing to do with....

I don't know much about the moss balls since I have never personally kept one....I need to get one and check it out...lol....

With true aquatic plants they can often be helpful in our tanks with proper care....they can provide not just a place for the fish to rest, hide, graze..... also filtration when actively growing......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #6 
Pekemom

Welcome, Twilight. We're glad you're here. I hope your Mom's fish recovers soon. I would make sure to wash that fish net in hot water...

Lots of good luck with your little betta boy.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #7 
LolaQuigs

Yeah rinse the net really well in hot water and let it air dry; usually fish pathogens die once they're out of water. If you're really concerned, you could clean the net in a diluted bleach mixture (1 pt bleach to 10 pts water) and rinse it REALLY well afterward. Or you could get a new net. If you've already used the net-in-question on your tank, I'd just keep a close eye on the fish and watch for signs of illness; it's not worth it to treat a whole tank unless you know for sure there's something wrong...not all fish are as hardy as bettas.

I hope your mom's betta starts to feel better!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #8 
Luimeril

aaww, don't blame the moss! i have Java moss in with four of my fish, and they adore the things. :d

i sure hope your mom's fish gets better.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 
Twilight Storm

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and all the well wishing for poor Moose.

He is alternately laying on his side or hanging from the top of the water this morning. He did poop overnight and a globe of the fungus? appears to have grown around it at the bottom of the bowl. The skin which I am guessing might be his slime coat? (since there are outlines of scales in it) is still working its way down his body and is still breaking off and floating in the tank. Patches of dandelion-like fuzz is much smaller but on his body still. I wish I could have supplied pictures. 4 other fish died suddenly overnight. Looked at them with a flashlight and they had it on their mouth and gill area. Whatever this is, it appears to spread FAST. Within 5 days it has wiped out all but moose (so far) and a rosey red minnow wintering over in the house.

I will still keep everyone updated, but it's looking pretty grim. I just hope I don't transfer this to my fish. He's my first Betta. I want to keep him healthy and happy for years, but it's scary with all this going on.

Do you think it's safe to put that moss ball out in the bird bath as soon as the weather warms up? or would we be risking birds? Is there any way to disinfect that thing?

My mom is running around every chance she gets bad mouthing PetSupplies Plus. (who appeared to me, to have a VERY good fish section. Even the betta cups were kept high, away from kid-level and appeared to be very very clean, with beautiful doubletails and crowntails... it is why I bought my fish there.)
Old 04-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #10 
LolaQuigs

Rereading everything, it sounds like this may be columnaris; symptoms include necrosis and the sloughing off of skin, and white fuzzy stuff that looks like fungus. Cottony growth around the mouth and gills is also a symptom, which fits the description of your other fish. Look up the disease online and see if the descriptions match what you've been seeing in your fish. It is an extremely contagious deadly bacteria that spreads very fast. I've never dealt with it, so unfortunately I don't have any advice on how to treat it. All I know is keep his temperature on the low side of the betta spectrum, as bacteria flourish at higher temperatures. Hopefully someone else with more experience will be able to help you out with an actual treatment plan.

I don't know how likely it is that something traveled in on the moss ball; I suppose it is possible that there was a columnaris outbreak in the tank that housed the ball, and some of the bacteria hitchhiked. I've read that you can soak a plant in a diluted bleach mixture in order to kill any nasties on it, so you may want to do that if you plan on keeping it. Just make sure you rinse it EXTREMELY well afterward.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote