Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #1 
Siren1974

Small Tank Cycling

Hi there,

Newbie Alert! I've just taken delivery of a little tank bought specifically to house a new betta. I'm mega confused as I've read so many different things regarding cycling a small tank. Does it need to be done? Some say yes, some say no It's 15 litres with a filter and 25cm cubed. I've added a handful of gravel from my larger tank (in a stocking) and a couple of my mental danios to start things off.

TIA
Siren1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

In a 15L or 4gal tank with a filter running all the time...it will establish the nitrogen cycle, however, usually there is not enough surface area to support a large enough colony of good bacteria for longer than a week........ water changes are needed at least twice weekly to maintain water quality and fin health...but with the nitrogen cycle and filter the water change percent can be decreased to 50% twice a week and if you add live plants either stem and/or floating you can safely reduce water changes to 50% weekly and maintain water quality......

The nitrogen cycle also gives a little wiggle room so-to-speak.....when life happens and you miss a water change due to a long weekend, vacation, illness...etc......once the nitrogen cycle is established....one water change is for water quality, ammonia and waste related and one is for fin health...when you add live plants they take care of the ammonia and waste with active growth.....its a balance......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
Siren1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

In a 15L or 4gal tank with a filter running all the time...it will establish the nitrogen cycle, however, usually there is not enough surface area to support a large enough colony of good bacteria for longer than a week........ water changes are needed at least twice weekly to maintain water quality and fin health...but with the nitrogen cycle and filter the water change percent can be decreased to 50% twice a week and if you add live plants either stem and/or floating you can safely reduce water changes to 50% weekly and maintain water quality......

The nitrogen cycle also gives a little wiggle room so-to-speak.....when life happens and you miss a water change due to a long weekend, vacation, illness...etc......once the nitrogen cycle is established....one water change is for water quality, ammonia and waste related and one is for fin health...when you add live plants they take care of the ammonia and waste with active growth.....its a balance......
Oh, that's fine :D I've added some new rainbowfish to my larger tank and they've taken a while to settle in so I've been doing 15 litre changes on that daily for the last week! The new tank is in the kitchen so changes are easy. I've just potted up some new plants in glass mini jars and plan to add some glass gravel later tonight. Going for all glass, clear so Mr Betta can be centre stage when I buy one :)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #4 
turtle10

4 Gallons is not big enough for danios.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #5 
misamiania

The danios aren't permanent. be it it's not the best situation to have them in the small tank I'm sure but it's not permanent. She's just using them to help the cycle start.
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #6 
Siren1974

No, the danios aren't permanent. I've borrowed a couple from the school in my large tank. It's lovely to see them properly though, they zoom around the big tank so fast by the time I've found them they've gone again! They'll be going back to their brothers and sisters soon