Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #1 
Deadpool

good substrate and plants for bettas?

I was thinking about switching up the gravel in my betta tank, possibly to black. Can anyone recommend what color would bring out the colors of my red veiltail more, along with the LED lighting? And plants? I would like to do some live plants. But I really don't have time for their requirements, so I started using plastic ones, and I think they ripped his fins cause he was always rubbing up against them. Then I switched to a couple silk ones, that he don't really pay attention to. Moss balls? I need alternatives.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 
bettafish15

I had black gravel with my orange and blue betta, and he really popped with it! I'd do the black gravel with some green silk plants :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #4 
BettasForever

I like the look of my moneywort, but I just got it 30 minutes ago but my betta is already resting in it. LOL! It's $1.75 with a PetPerks card at Petsmart.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #5 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
I was thinking about switching up the gravel in my betta tank, possibly to black. Can anyone recommend what color would bring out the colors of my red veiltail more, along with the LED lighting? And plants? I would like to do some live plants. But I really don't have time for their requirements, so I started using plastic ones, and I think they ripped his fins cause he was always rubbing up against them. Then I switched to a couple silk ones, that he don't really pay attention to. Moss balls? I need alternatives.
In my tank I have Moneywort (which has many small, round leaves on the stalks), two Arrow-somethings (I believe they were called Arrowroots...which has large, rounded leaves that are GREAT for them to lay on [[they love it!]]), Aluminum plant (I forget if that's what it's called, but it has the word Aluminum in it...also has rounded leaves). They arent hard to take care of at all, just make sure that they can get a good root system going by burying them under the gravel.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

The problem is LED lighting isn't really good lighting for plant growth. If your tank is near a window that gets lots of natural light you might be able to use very low light plants suck as java moss and java fern. Stem plants such as moneywort I don't think would last very long in that set up.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 
Cravenne

I always vote for black gravel...it's quite natural and 'quiet'. Most colours pop against the black, as well..

The plants totally depend on the lighting. I have no experience with the LEDs.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #8 
shadowsbiker

+1 for black gravel

My red VT's color just pops out with my black gravel
shadowsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #9 
pumpkinspikepie

I have black sand in with my little yellow female and it's so easy to spot her hiding in her plants because of it. I have pale sand and gravel (50/50) in with my bluish male and that complements him as well.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #10 
Deadpool

So moss balls under LED lighting would be a no? Because I don't get any sunlight on the tank at all.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote