Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 
bernii86

Exclamation Betta's sick and dying - sorry quite long

I had one male in a tank (24L or approx 6.3 US Gal) along with 2 bristle nose and 2 other fish, a snail & a few plants. The tank has a heater (set to 28 degrees C or approx 82.4 degrees F), a filter & the water gets changed (about 50-75% of the tank) every 7-10 days. I use stress coat & stress zyme to condition the tap water and test the pH levels & make sure they stay in the correct range.

My betta (Sheldon) got cloudy eyes, & quite bloated, so the pet shop told me to use "betta fix" (I changed the water before putting it in, then continued with it for 7 days & changed the water again), while that started to clear his eyes it did nothing for his bloating. Last week he started to become really lathargic & just keep resting on top of the heater (which was not his normal behaviour), he also lost all interest in food. His scales also started to stick out from his body.

Yesterday a fish shop suggested that I add aquarium salt to the tank, but told me it was probably too late to save him (sadly it was and Sheldon died last night).

Issue I have now is that Penny (a female in a 15L or approx 3.29 US Gal tank with a heater, filter & plants) is now displaying the same symptoms (exculding the bloating and cloudy eye). Her tank has aquarium salt in it. I clean her tank every week without fail.

I don't Penny to die, so if someone can give me any sugggestions as to what I can do to make her better I'd appreciate it.

Also if someone can tell me what is killing them and how I can prevent it too!!

Thanks
bernii86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #2 
kirby13580

could you show some photos?
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

This tank is maxed out and is inappropriate for the fish that live within it.. A 6.3 gallon tank should hold either a single betta and a few snails/shrimp or a second betta in a divided tank.
The temp is fine and the conditioner is swell, but it was not cleaned enough-even if cycled. Your betta may have died from poor water conditions, even though I believe you thought it'd been enough (sincerely). Your betta, based on what you said, in the end had dropsy-like symptoms. There is no cure for dropsy; only preventative measures. I am sorry for his loss.

Adding AQ salt with a fish with dropsy is sometimes not recommended because of what it is made of (sodium chloride(?)). It would be painful.

You need to clean her tank more often than you do. I dont know if you have other fish with her, but there should be no other fish in that tank, period. Especially if unfiltered.
Your fish can be sick from many things, though it is likley from not feeling well from maybe too high ammonia OR, if you used anything from Sheldon's tank in hers (decor, nets, etc.) and they werent cleaned, she contracted what he had.

Start doing more frequent changes, Id say 50% every two to three days regularly with a 100% once a week without a filter (if you have a filter, you need no 100% change).

While ill, maybe do said changes a bit more frequently. Lower the water level to make things easier for her to breathe, since she's lethargic. Make certain the water temp isnt under 75' or over 82'. Hold off on any medications for now and see if she improves. AQ salt is 1tsp/gallon of water, for no more than 7-10days. It can cause organ failure if done for large amounts of time.

More specific info about her home, etc. would help a lot. Also, pictures would be great.

I do not suggest replacing Sheldon and putting a new betta into that already overstocked tank, btw. You may end up with the same thing all over again. :(
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #4 
scootshoot

Tank is way overstocked, it was only a matter of time the water quality would spike. Aside from this minor detail, up your water changes, 7-10 days inbetween is not enough!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #5 
turtle10

I agree with the others. The tank is super over stocked, and there aren't enough water changes being done. I suggest moving up to at least 20 - 30 gallons (probably 30) with 50% water changes every single week.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

As much as I agree with your agreeing, guys (LOLOLOL), theyre asking how to help their female betta, not really how to get the correct tank... I think advice on that is better for the moment.
Though yes, OP, you really do need a much larger tank for them! Especially the plecos and the other fish we dont know the type of.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
bernii86

Sadly by the time I got home from work last night Penny had also died. At least, unlike Sheldon, she passed quickly. I'll post pictures of my tanks later, sadly I can't do it while I'm at work

Last edited by bernii86; 03-24-2011 at 07:30 PM.
bernii86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #8 
turtle10

I am so sorry for your loss :(
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote