Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #1 
roypattonphoto

Something Disturbing... Petco vs Petsmart

so today i was at both stores

while talking to one guy about the bettas and disease, he said they shock the fishes systems, by first putting them in Salt Water to "we give them a salt water bath to shock any diseases that maybe in their systems before sale" .. are u seriously kidding that they do this? no wnder those fish are so lethargic and so much distress.... i was looking through the males today, and 50% of the ones i picked up and finrot to some extent.. i was so mad.. had to leave the store before i came home with several new fishies and no where to put them....

also while at petsmart, and this why i like petsmart, they seem to bit a better more smarter side..

while i was talking to the lady, and i asked her why is the water in their better cups here blue vs the clear water i see everywhere else.... she was telling me that when they receive bettas in that they put a small amount of medication in their water to help ward of Ammonua (spelling?) build up and other factors that would play a part in the small enviroment...

... wouldnt it be smarter to have a standard of health care from a business stand point? seems like Petsmart knows their stuff and takes care of their animals even the fish.. most places like petco ive seen only seem to care for the Reptiles, Rodents and Cats....

sorry rand posting rant...
but i had to vent...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Petco's bettas have always looked better then Petsmart's.

Honestly, I wish everyone would realize that it depends on the store and the people working there.
It doesn't matter which store is better, what matters is who is working there to properly take care of the fish.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 
Luimeril

my local petco is amazing. i fell in love with the store, and wish it was closer, so i could go more often. the local petsmart, though.... all the bettas had SBD. except the one i got, Mister Auron. he was beautiful. black body, blood red fins with a small streak of blue in each. but, he died that night. :/ i hate Petsmart. i really do. .________.

so, not all Petco's are horrid. :d it depends on the manager, and the employees.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Yeah, it depends on the store. The blue water btw doesnt stop ammonia from building up, its an anti-parasite medication.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

I agree it depends on the place. I went to Petco and Petsmart on similar days and we weren't very impressed with Petsmart's betta care. It might change if we went to get them on the day they get their shipment but I loved my local petco for most betta stuff. I'm going to be getting more betta's but planning my trip around when they get new stock in.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #6 
Alex09

I dont think a fish can even be shocked by salt water unless the salinity of the water is something ridiculous. Many members here (including myself) have administered salt baths before...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 
freakumDRESS

I dont have a problem with one of my local petsmart. Their tanks aren't overstocked... And they reccomend one inch of fish per gallon. They also bag the fish and add extra stress reducer to the bag for the ride home. Their guinea-pig cages are somewhat spacious, more spacious than another petsmart near me. I havent been to our local petco, i dont see a reason to go there... All petstores seem the same. Now petland on the otherhand... That's hell on earth for animals.
freakumDRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Someone told me at the store that the blue water is oxygen enriched or something. :/ Ha ha. I'll bet they just made that up to sound smart.

I agree, in my area Petco is tons better, but it probably depends on the store.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakumDRESS View Post
I dont have a problem with one of my local petsmart. Their tanks aren't overstocked... And they reccomend one inch of fish per gallon. They also bag the fish and add extra stress reducer to the bag for the ride home. Their guinea-pig cages are somewhat spacious, more spacious than another petsmart near me. I havent been to our local petco, i dont see a reason to go there... All petstores seem the same. Now petland on the otherhand... That's hell on earth for animals.
That sucks that your petland is bad... mine is excellent. :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #10 
Jupiter

It varies from store to store, really...all of the Petsmarts that I've been to use it to supposedly prevent diseases, but then you see them with dirty cups so it kind of defeats the purpose...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote