Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Culling fry to reduce spawn size?
Yes, it's ok! 22 78.57%
No, it's unethical! 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #1 
monroe0704

Culling to Reduce Spawn Size.. Ethical or No?

I have been wondering for a while what everyone's thoughts on this question are! I think culling deformed fry is a must, but what about early on to control the amount of fry you'll end up with? The male betta will only eat so many (usually)... does this method seem unethical to you guys or reasonable?

I personally don't lean either way, but I wouldn't cull to reduce size only because I'm trying to show down the line... So it'd be my luck that I'd cull off all the show winners haha!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #2 
pdxBetta

I agree. l wouldn't cull until I could at least tell what the fry looked like. Only a small percentage of fish may be top quality, and if you cull early, you are losing some of those fish.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Since this can be a touchy subject, I want to remind everyone to be respectful of each others' opinions, even if you don't agree with it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #4 
monroe0704

Oh goodness I didn't think it'd get that touchy... Well then yes, please be respectful everyone! Lol. I thought culling was well practiced in the breeding community....
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

I'd say that its needed. Not only to help further a line in show and all that, but to help with fish with chronic issues and health problems/deformities, just as they would in the wild.
I know this particular kind of fish would not be found in the wild, but it DOES happen in nature- the weak do not survive.

Yeah, erryone, be respectful ;3 I hope this wont get messy or anything- especially with new to breeding and whiny members.. Ha.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

We've had members in ther past who didn't believe in it so I just thought I'd ask everyone to be respectful of each others' opinions. I don't expect any problems, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

No, I know. I dont think there will be issues, either. <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #8 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I'd say that its needed. Not only to help further a line in show and all that, but to help with fish with chronic issues and health problems/deformities, just as they would in the wild.
I know this particular kind of fish would not be found in the wild, but it DOES happen in nature- the weak do not survive.

Yeah, erryone, be respectful ;3 I hope this wont get messy or anything- especially with new to breeding and whiny members.. Ha.
See I too agree fully on culling later when you can spot visible deformities etc, but is it a little unfair to cull eggs off before we even know what's going on in there? Wow ok I can see why this would be touchy haha. It kinda mirrors a common debate in the US! Oops!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #9 
LolaQuigs

I would only cull for deformities or genetic issues that would impact the fish's quality of life. I would never cull just because I had too many fry. I figure, if you don't have the space/means to take care of all of the potential offspring, then don't breed in the first place. This is why I know I will never breed.

I also would never cull healthy fish that don't have desired colors/fins/aesthetic attributes. Nothing should have to die just because it doesn't look the way a person wants it to look. And as long as you don't breed them, you don't have to worry about fish with undesireable appearances uglying up the gene pool.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

I'm fine with culling to control spawn size, especially if your still learning.

I'll be doing heavy culling with my fry. I don't have the space to jar hundreds of fish, luckily by the time they're old enough to start jarring you can usually tell who is gonna be a good fish and who isn't, although there are always wild cards.

If you get a spawn and your not prepared for it.. I wholeheartedly agree with culling the entire spawn. That goes for any animal IMO. The way I see it.. sure each fry should deserve a chance at life... but when your talking pets you also have to think about all the other pets out there still waiting for homes.. I think that's one of the things that separates an ethical (or perhaps resposnible would be a better word) breeder from just a breeder. I think keeping a every fish alive just because you don't have the stomach to cull is a little selfish.

Then again.. my ultimate goal in breeding is to produce the greatest quality fish I can, not to supply the world with more "ok" pets. I also, as a breeder working towards a goal of improving genetics, don't want to risk the fish I deem unworthy of breeding getting out into the world and being spawned by those who may not know why I deemed them unacceptable.

Breeding is harsh, not just in fish but in dogs, horses, and any other animal you want to breed. I am of the opinion that if your not helping the animal by doing everything you can to improve it (or in some cases merely keep it going in the instances of some rare breeds and species of fish that are on the endangered species list)... you are only hurting it in the long run.

Think of it this way.. there's been a discussion going on the IBC boards about the colors of yesteryear that we are no longer seeing... there are talks to try to get breeders to start bringing those colors back. Now think of some things that caused those colors to begin to fade, on thing could be breeders who allowed less than ideal fish to slip out into the stratosphere and be bred, who in turn were bred, eventually diluting the color. (Of course there's a lot more that goes into this scenario).

Culling is one of those things that everyone does but no one likes to talk about because people have a tendency to anthropomorphize and therefore they begin to see culling as the same thing as abortion.. which IMO it's not.

That was a really longwinded reply which I think got a little off topic.. so to answer the original question. Yes, I am fine with culling early to control spawn size BUT I do think the breeder should understand that by doing that he or she is likely culling not only some undesirable fish but also some amazing fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote