Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Culling fry to reduce spawn size?
Yes, it's ok! 22 78.57%
No, it's unethical! 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #21 
monroe0704

Yes for this instance I did intend for that meaning. However it is good to point out that fact for other references :)
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #22 
FuulieQ

I wouldn't. If I make a choice to breed a fish, I feel that I should be prepared to care for the life that results. I wouldn't kill a heathy fish that simply didn't live up to me standards.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #23 
1fish2fish

Think of it this way though... how do you go about finding homes for 100 fish? Sell some on AB (if they're good enough), give some away (if your lucky), give to petstores. What do you do if you don't have a reputable pet store around you? Is it better I give the fish I breed to my LFS who keeps their bettas in literally 1/3 cup of water or cull the ones I don't deem breeding worthy? Should I only spawn 1 spawn at a time and only do another spawn after I have gotten rid of all the fish I'm not keeping? How do you start a line that way?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #24 
FuulieQ

I'm not sure on the details of breeding betta, but when I was breeding my ADFs I started off with at least 100 tadpoles, and by the time they began to grow legs I had 12.

It doesn't make sense to me to breed fish if you can't find homes for the animals you produce. I'm not saying that you're a bad person for culling necessarily, but I wouldn't kill something because it's not pretty. It conflicts very sharply with my morals, even if it seems stupid to apply human morality to fish. I just don't have the guts to do something like that and feel okay about it afterwards.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #25 
pdxBetta

I knew a breeder that had a pair of oscars to do the dirty work for him. Is that really any different than feeding them goldfish?
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote