Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

We have the 2.5 Aqueon minibow. It is a nice and not noisy..however, it is more 2 gallons than 2.5 after decorations are added... it also scratches pretty easily. ( it could be that I am not used to acrylic tanks though)
I have only had it for a few weeks and I have already accidentally scratched it pretty badly. I do like the tank though.

Walmart has a 5 gallon tank with hoodlight and filter for 25.00 dollars, it might be something to look into.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

It is actually a pretty small tank and doesn't take up much more room then the 2.5 gallon.

I have this one and I love it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #12 
Ariel1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
We have the 2.5 Aqueon minibow. It is a nice and not noisy..however, it is more 2 gallons than 2.5 after decorations are added... it also scratches pretty easily. ( it could be that I am not used to acrylic tanks though)
I have only had it for a few weeks and I have already accidentally scratched it pretty badly. I do like the tank though.

Walmart has a 5 gallon tank with hoodlight and filter for 25.00 dollars, it might be something to look into.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

It is actually a pretty small tank and doesn't take up much more room then the 2.5 gallon.

I have this one and I love it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

I bought that last 5 gal you posted, but my mom didn't want another 'big' tank in the house. SO i got the minibow haha.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #13 
Thunderloon

if you decide on the 3gal eclipse, just get a marineland 5gal hex, same filter etc but a better light and nice format
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #14 
vilmarisv

Just a heads up...
the MiniBow's light might break after light using. The base where you screw the bulb to just comes apart.
Read the reviews... it also happened to me and I didn't even change the bulb so there was to way I could've broken it myself.
I ended up cutting the cord on one and the other I use for preparing tank water. BAD tanks IMO if you're wanting t turn on your light at all.

Edit:
You can use a heater for a larger tank in a 3gal if it's adjustable, just get a thermometer to monitor the temp and get it in the correct setting. I think mine was a 10-12 gal thermometer and I set it to 76 to get the water to 80.

Last edited by vilmarisv; 03-24-2011 at 08:00 PM.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #15 
sjones

I just bought my second ten gallon kit at walmart for $30 and I think it's an awesome deal, filter, tank and lighted hood. I am going to divide it in two just like my other one. The only thing you have to switch out is the light bulbs to cfls (cheap).
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #16 
Lion Mom

I have three of the Hawkeye 5 gal. tanks from Wal-Mart & LOVE them!! Yes, the filter that comes with needs to be baffled, but that's not a big job - just get some aquarium sponge & rubberband it to the outflow.

Here are some pics of one of mine:
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #17 
Lion Mom

And here is a pic of how I baffled the filter (with the top closed you don't even see the sponge):
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #18 
sjones

Red face

oops I meant to post that on another thread-sorry
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #19 
Sikka

Thanks Ariel! The images are super helpful.

And thanks everyone else for all the information! :D
Sikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #20 
Sikka

So, I went out and bought the Mini Bow 2.5 today. Not only is it quiet, it's SILENT. I'm so excited. :D

Can anyone answer me this: If I add some water from the established tank to the new mini bow, will it be beneficial to the cycling process or should I just start with new water entirely?
Sikka is offline   Reply With Quote