Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy Dante's not acting normal....

my copper Delta tail, Dante. he's been acting.... different. he used to be a show-off for me, but, ever since i removed him from my computer desk, he's been acting different. at first, it was just him being a bit more skittish than usual, but now, it's worrying. he hides ALL the time. usually, when one of my bettas hides, i can just tap the tank wall, and they come to investigate and say hi. not Dante. i had to actually move his tank and turn it to get him to come out of the plants, then he headed right for his cave and layed down, something that worries me MORE. he's also clamped all the time, even refusing to spread his fins when he flares at Cup. he used to NEVER be clamped. ever. ever ever ever. o.o

his tank's a 2.5~ gallon Kritter Keeper. i do water changes every three days. it has a small heater, set at around 78F. i feed him a mix of foods, mostly New Life Spectrum brand Grow and Betta formula, with Wardely's and Hikari every few weeks. he doesn't have any tank mates, it's just him. i noticed a change in him when i moved him to put Remy on my desk, but the hiding and refusing to come out just this past week or so.

i checked for ick or velvet, and he has none. i'll try a bare-bottomed tank, to check his poops when i change his water today.

i know many of you don't think fish can have human feelings, but to ME, it honestly seems like he'd depressed that he's no longer on my desk. o.o anyone have any other reason he may be acting like this?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 
monroe0704

A change in environment can stress a fish out. Is the water quality the same as when he was on your desk? To figure out what's wrong you need to think about what has changed in his environment and food between then and now. It could be that he isn't comfortable with his new place.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #3 
tokala

Does his new location have different lighting or loud sounds that might stress him out? Maybe he is bored from not seeing you at the desk all the time since that seems to be stimulating.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i think i figured it out. D: he was hiding in his cave when i went to feed him, so i decided to do an early water change. that's when i saw the most horrid thing EVER.

one of his gills.... it's..... i dunno. horrible-looking! it's all sticking out, and painful-looking. i feel so horrid for not noticing it sooner than just now. i quickly got some pics of it. i'm going over them now, to make sure you all can see what i saw. i got side, and top pics. no wonder he's been hiding... it's Phantom of the Opera-looking, and looks painful....
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #5 
Luimeril

okay. time for pics. please... help me save my boy. i have NO clue what this could be, but it looks bad.

sorry if they're huge. i didn't feel that i had time to resize them, so i just uploaded them to Tinypic and pasted the url here. what in the world could cause that? he's in his tank, with just one plant, his cave, bare bottomed, half-filled with water. my poor boy.... i don't want to lose him. i just lost Hyde, and Dante's my special boy. my first Delta, my first copper, my first tail biter.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #6 
Luimeril

anyone?

if it helps, he doesn't flash, doesn't scratch, he just lays there, not wanting to move much. he hides in his cave alot, too.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #7 
monroe0704

It could be inflammation due to parasites or bacteria... it also appears like he has an injury in front of the gill. Maybe treat for a general infection or just raise water temp, decrease the light, and observe for improvement/deterioration.

Sorry I'm not more help!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #8 
Luimeril

that's more help than what i had before. i IMed a friend of mine from another forum, and she said it looks like he got his head stuck. it looks just like one of her betta's heads after he got stuck in the divider. thank you. :3
Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella.....

I would start an Epsom salt treatment 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 2 days then on day 3 increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal along with the 100% water changes for 7 more days...if you have tannin to add all the better.....

Good luck...I am having major computer problems so I may not be on much
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #10 
Luimeril

thanks, OFL, but Dante passed away last night. :< i'm thinking i caught it too late, and am thinking it was an injury, he got his head stuck in this small-ish hole in his cave.

hope you get your computer problems sorted out. they're a pain. ._.