Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

divideing a 10 gallon 3 ways?

What do you all think about divided 10 gallon tanks 3 ways? Does anyone have one with photos or videos? I am thinking about getting another 10 gallon to divide.

I was planning on dividing my 5 gallon 2 ways, but it is awfully small..and I have to buy a heater and filter for the 5 gallon anyways....which will add up to about 30 dollars. (11.00 for the filter and 20.00 for the heater)

For about 30 dollars I can get a 10 gallon kit at walmart. ($20.00 if i use craigslist)

So for about 20 dollars more I could get a 10 gallon for my fish instead of using the 5 gallon. I am just curious what it would look like divided 3 ways?

(there's a pretty little halfmoon panda-like betta at petco I want to get if he is still there..)
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I plan on spending $50.00-$70.00. on this.
30 for tank,20 on heater and then another 20 for live plants.
If the 20.00 one on craigslist is still available that will leave me with 30 for plants! ( oh boy i'm getting excited!)

If you all have any recommendations in that price range that would be awesome too.I am just "brain storming" out loud here...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #3 
sjones

You could, I just bought my second kit from Walmart for $30-such as deal. I have mine divided two ways but I suppose you could divide it three ways. I had to baffle the filter and put some nylons over the intake. If you can buy the heater somewhere else even if it's a little more-the walmart heaters tend to not work or not work well in my experience.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

it really is a deal! I wish I would have just bought the 10 gallon to begin with. The 5 gallon was only a few dollars less.
I may keep the 5 gallon and buy a filter and heater for it eventually and take out one of the dividers in the 10. That way they all have 5 gallons.
I plan on getting my heater at either petco or petsmart. Do you have any recommendations on a good heater around 20 dollars?

I just got back from Petco a little bit ago. The halfmoon panda betta was gone.
I found a really pretty crown tail though! he shimmers a diffrent color from every angle..I named him bubbles. I am keeping him in my 1.5 gallon hex tank until I get the 10 gallon.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

*excuse title typo*
I just noticed it!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

I have my 10 gallon divided 3 ways, and my fish are fine! They love the space they each have. Go for it!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #7 
sjones

Hmm.. If you do plants you will also have to buy gravel ($4 walmart) and fluorescent lightbulbs to replace the incadescent lightbulbs the walmart kit comes with.
The good thing is the florescent lightbulbs are great for growing plants IF you buy the right kind.
What are the right kind you ask?
I don't know I get confused every time I go so I just bought the kind of fluorescent they have in aquarium apartment for $5 each.
Other than that you'd have to research what kind of CFL to buy. Or maybe someone will solve the mystery and just tell us.
I'm not sure of the name brands but a preset heater there should work okay. I have a couple different types, you can get a glass in tank thermometer at walmart for $2 and I keep my eye on the temperature everyday.
Also be sure to do some research before you buy plants, as many of the plants they sell as aquarium plants at petco/smart are not actually aquarium plants. You can always grab a book while you're there and check up on the names. Or go to this website: plantedtank.net and buy some plants from some members. That site is very helpful!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #8 
sjones

Oh and you might decide you need fertilizer for the plants which is a bit more $ as well. The amount of money this "hobby" needs never ends..
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Oh and you might decide you need fertilizer for the plants which is a bit more $ as well. The amount of money this "hobby" needs never ends..
Ain't THAT the truth?????
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

I had no idea having fish was so expensive when I got my first betta! So worth it though!

I will probably do a sand/gravel mix because I really love sand. I have my 10 gallon set up for my old guy and it is all sand.

I know how sneaky petco and petsmart can be about their non aquatic plants! I went to get a plant at petco the other week..thought it was cool looking...asked the lady what kind of plant it was and she said she couldn't remember? I got it anyways, because it looked cool. turns out it isn't fully aquatic! It's ok though! I rubber banded it to the front of my filter so the leaves are out of water but the roots are watered by the outflow. Makes a cool filter baffle! It looks cool because my tank is an open top 10 gallon setup. Looks all cool and jungley in my kitchen. I have a plant fertilizer, but it isn't the kind I wanted so I may get some different kind anyways.