Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #1 
honeyybearr

Question New to fish!

Hi, my name is Ann and I am completely new to fish ownership. I was at the pet store yesterday and I saw the saddest looking little fish in the entire world and I couldn't leave him there, so here I am. I just want to make sure I'm giving him a good home and I figured that you all could make sure I was headed in the right direction.
Those "made for betta" tanks seemed so small to me so I bought a little (2.5 gallon) square glass aquarium, some gravel, fake plants, and a little reef looking decoration, all very colorful. Next to the made for betta tanks were little heaters and I read the box and it said that they were needed for betta's, I had never heard this before but I didn't want to bring the poor thing home and freeze it so I bought the little heater that was the appropriate size for my tank. I bought him pellets and when I fed it to him he looked like he was trying to chew but couldn't and spit them all back out. I went back to the pet store today and the woman gave me freeze dried blood worms (I have no idea if that's right) but the little guy seems to love them. He is very skittish when he's by himself in the tank and he seems pretty disoriented, darting around erratically stopping only occasionally to stare at his own reflection in the side of the glass tank. When I put my hand in there to fix a plant that floated to the top he seemed very friendly with me, he even swam through my fingers which I wasn't expecting. He doesn't seem aggressive at all. I named him Zero after the dog from The Nightmare Before Christmas, because they actually resemble each other quite a bit!
Here are some pictures (I hope they work)... Thank you in advance for your help!

honeyybearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #2 
YoshesMom

he is beautiful and you came to the right place you didnt exactally the right thing in buying everything you did awesome job! He can only have the blood worms as a treat not a main staple diet try the pellets again and if that dosent work try a flake food like bettamin..it you get bigger flakes break them up TINY they will expand in there bellies bettmin is a very tiny flake and my guys love them. They are usually only aggressive to other fish but quite friendly to people all of mine and nearly everyone elses here are like very small happy puppies when he settels dont be surprised if he swims to the front of the tank to greet you and "wags" his whole body..they LOVE attention make sure you keep his water at 76-80 ish degrees and he will perk up in no time congrats and again he is BEAUTIFUL
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Welcome to the forum. You fish and tank are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

The pellets may be too big for him - some are. What brand are they? In choosing the correct diet for a betta, the first two ingredients should be meat based.

You can try crushing/cutting the pellets for him to see if that helps or you can purchase a micro pellet which are TINY.

Agreed - bloodworms are treats ONLY! Feed only a small amount of them once or twice a week, but be sure to hydrated them in tank water first.

Hope that helps and again - WELCOME!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #4 
turtle10

I agree with the others, so all I am going to say is that your are right on with the name! He looks just like him, it fits him really well.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Welcome! It sounds like you're off to a great start! A 2.5 gallon is an appropriate size for a betta, just make sure you do the proper water changes. If you don't have a filter, do one 50% and one 100% change per week, and if it is filtered, do two 50% changes. Bettas are tropical fish and like water that is 76-82 degrees F, so you definitely did the right thing in getting a heater. You may also want to get a thermometer, just so you know for sure that the heater is doing its job. Some of the small tank heaters (especially the ones that just raise ambient temperatures several degrees) can be iffy, so it's always a good idea to have a thermometer so you know the exact temperature. Like everyone else said, bloodworms are a great treat but definitely stick with pellets as his staple food. If he still spits them out after you've crushed them or cut them up, you could try a different brand, he may just be finicky. He's pretty, and I love his name!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #6 
catappa leaves

Hi member honetbearr,

I read your post and was thinking I might be able to help a bit. I have put-up some very useful information about Betta Fish keeping and caring in my site for everyone to access.

It is titled Aquarium Resources under Category. I have two topic there currently, that is Betta Fish Care and The Aquarium Secret.

Hope it will be useful and helpful to your hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyybearr View Post
Hi, my name is Ann and I am completely new to fish ownership. I was at the pet store yesterday and I saw the saddest looking little fish in the entire world and I couldn't leave him there, so here I am. I just want to make sure I'm giving him a good home and I figured that you all could make sure I was headed in the right direction.
Those "made for betta" tanks seemed so small to me so I bought a little (2.5 gallon) square glass aquarium, some gravel, fake plants, and a little reef looking decoration, all very colorful. Next to the made for betta tanks were little heaters and I read the box and it said that they were needed for betta's, I had never heard this before but I didn't want to bring the poor thing home and freeze it so I bought the little heater that was the appropriate size for my tank. I bought him pellets and when I fed it to him he looked like he was trying to chew but couldn't and spit them all back out. I went back to the pet store today and the woman gave me freeze dried blood worms (I have no idea if that's right) but the little guy seems to love them. He is very skittish when he's by himself in the tank and he seems pretty disoriented, darting around erratically stopping only occasionally to stare at his own reflection in the side of the glass tank. When I put my hand in there to fix a plant that floated to the top he seemed very friendly with me, he even swam through my fingers which I wasn't expecting. He doesn't seem aggressive at all. I named him Zero after the dog from The Nightmare Before Christmas, because they actually resemble each other quite a bit!
Here are some pictures (I hope they work)... Thank you in advance for your help!

catappa leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

I love your tank and little fishy! It's wonderful that you are already doing so much correctly! :D Great job. :) And this forum rules! Everything about bettas you can find here.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #8 
phoenix91

Your tank looks great! and Zero is very cute and such a good name. I'm new to all this too.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #9 
Abby

-zones out staring at fishy- PRETTYY
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #10 
Harley

Nice setup! My "Harley" had trouble with his pellets too. He would either spit them out or ignore them. I bought some micro pellets and now he eats them fine. Might be worth a try. Like others said, don't rely on blood worms for everyday use, just as a treat, probably no more than once a week.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote