Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #1 
blacksheep72

Help with feeding PETCO bettas

I picked up a betta last week and another today. Both are from Petco. When I bought the first I got a pack of Hikari pellets. My guy won't eat them. So today when I picked up the second fish, I noticed all sorts of pellets in the bottoms of the betta containers starting to mold. I guess that wherever these fish come from, they're not fed pellets.

Anyway, I picked up some BettaMin since I read that people are having good luck with it. Guess what? Neither betta is interested. I'm thinking frozen brine shrimp or worms next. Any suggestions? I don't want to lose either of my fish.

Thanks in advance.
blacksheep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

My bettas love freeze dried bloodworms, but that is not good for a staple diet. (But bettas looooove them. Well, my 4 do. :D) I'm sorry, I don't know what brand of pellets I use! But my girl betta HATES them. She only eats flakes and bloodworms.
Yay! Found the pellets I feed my boys. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...n=Fish+Feeding They gobble them up, my girl is just so cute and spoiled she wont' eat them. Hope this helps! I wanna see the new guy? :D
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #3 
blacksheep72

Well, I was watching my male, Rowdy, and he picked out the bits of shrimp and ate them. He eventually gave a couple flakes a try, but he just spit them out. I'll have to watch the female some more and see if she'll do the same thing.

Anyway, here they are...Rowdy and Cutie Pie(or the red fish, as I shall refer to her)

Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh my goodness, they are so gorgeous! Beautiful DBT! I saw your other thread, I've never seen a betta that pale when he is really this colorful! He is so pretty.
Argh, so cute! I love girl bettas. She's a female VT, right? I have one too, her names Luna. I have an album if you wanna see some pics of her! :D New girl is adorable. She'll come around!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #5 
Kitdae

did you ask what they feed them at the place?
Kitdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #6 
blacksheep72

Years ago when I was originally addicted to bettas, I had about 40 of them and they all ate great. I would feed them frozen and live brine shrimp & bloodworms, flakes, pellets. They just ate whatever.

I know the female has only been in her tank a few hours, but she's looking for food. Just not what I'm giving her.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

I'd go with feeding them live or frozen (NOT freeze dried) foods as a staple diet if they refuse anything else. It took my Double tail from PetCo a few days to get used to pellets. I wouldn't suggest feeding them Hikari, since it's mostly wheat based. Go look for a pellets whose first two ingredients are fish products. I use the AquaCulture brand from Walmart, and my Bettas love it. Also, I had to crush the pellets for my DBT for a while because they were too big for him to eat. You might need to try that as well.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #8 
blacksheep72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdae View Post
did you ask what they feed them at the place?
I could see that they were "feeding" them pellets, but I don't think anyone's eating them. Almost every betta cup had pellets on the bottom starting to mold.

Maybe I should have asked, but it was pretty obvious.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #9 
blacksheep72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I'd go with feeding them live or frozen (NOT freeze dried) foods as a staple diet if they refuse anything else. It took my Double tail from PetCo a few days to get used to pellets. I wouldn't suggest feeding them Hikari, since it's mostly wheat based. Go look for a pellets whose first two ingredients are fish products. I use the AquaCulture brand from Walmart, and my Bettas love it. Also, I had to crush the pellets for my DBT for a while because they were too big for him to eat. You might need to try that as well.
Thanks for the input. Yep, I think I'll pick up some frozen brine shrimp Saturday and give them a try. I'm pretty sure Rowdy will eat them. Once I added some of the shrimp bits out of the BettaMin, he was all over them. One bigger piece he just tore into, shaking his head back and forth to break it up and then eating the smaller pieces. It almost looked like he was enjoying it too much.

I'm sure the female will start eating, too. I always had good luck with brine shrimp.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

I'm glad he seemed to like them!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote