Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #1 
lalalaura

New tank

So I bought another 5.5 gal tank. Instead of having my other 5.5 gal divided for my two betta's, I wanted them each to have their own.
What are some good plants that I can put in their tank? I don't have a light on the tank but it gets natural light during the day (NOT direct sunlight).
Also, are there some other fish I can put in a 5.5 gal with a betta? I have read some about african dwarf frogs. shrimp and snails but how many is suitable for a 5.5 gal?
My crown tail is quite aggressive so I would leave him on his own but my new half moon seems pretty laid back. I have only seem him flare once at the crown tail and now he just looks at him and swims away so I think he could be suitable for tank mates.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalaura View Post
So I bought another 5.5 gal tank. Instead of having my other 5.5 gal divided for my two betta's, I wanted them each to have their own.
What are some good plants that I can put in their tank? I don't have a light on the tank but it gets natural light during the day (NOT direct sunlight).
Also, are there some other fish I can put in a 5.5 gal with a betta? I have read some about african dwarf frogs. shrimp and snails but how many is suitable for a 5.5 gal?
My crown tail is quite aggressive so I would leave him on his own but my new half moon seems pretty laid back. I have only seem him flare once at the crown tail and now he just looks at him and swims away so I think he could be suitable for tank mates.
No other fish can live in that size of a tank. Also, ADF's can be a handful, and need at least one or two friends, which Id say your tank is too small for. Shirmp and snails are the way to go.

Id try anacharis, anubias, hornwort, java fern, cabomba (if your tank is 76-77'), Water wisteria, and maybe amazon sword. Theyre easy and low maintenance.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #3 
Thunderloon

The halfmoon is just as aggressive, but laid back about it.

I had some pristella in with sherbert and he used to harass them all day long by swiming over where they were and flopping down.

Took them out and while he seems a little bored, he's much more friendly.

In a five I'd say the best other fish would be a mirror stuck where they can get to it or leave the tanks side by side so they can "play" at each other.

The narrow dimentions front-to-back crowds them quite a bit.

When I find a girl he'll like I'm going to divide sherbert's at 3.25 and 2.25 so he has company.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #4 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
No other fish can live in that size of a tank. Also, ADF's can be a handful, and need at least one or two friends, which Id say your tank is too small for. Shirmp and snails are the way to go.

Id try anacharis, anubias, hornwort, java fern, cabomba (if your tank is 76-77'), Water wisteria, and maybe amazon sword. Theyre easy and low maintenance.

O.O am i reading this as she shouldnt have any other fish with her betta?
I have 3 bettas in one 5 gal, 4 in the other and ill be adding a bristle nose cat fish to each. i could put two more bettas in the tank holding 4 and 3 in the tank holding 3 and they would be plenty fine space wise.but im only adding the bristle nose's for alge cause my snails have 2/3 died
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Um. I think that might be a joke, right?
If not I think you know my answer.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I have 3 bettas in one 5 gal, 4 in the other and ill be adding a bristle nose cat fish to each. i could put two more bettas in the tank holding 4 and 3 in the tank holding 3 and they would be plenty fine space wise.but im only adding the bristle nose's for alge cause my snails have 2/3 died
Please tell me your joking! It's really only enough space for one betta and some snails or shrimp in a 5g! Nevermind a Bristlenose pleco! BN plecos need at LEAST 10 gallons. Ah well, now you know!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 
lalalaura

Well, going from my first post:
I put them in separate tanks with fake plants and some java moss. I'm not going to put anything else in their tanks. I tried putting a filter in one of the tanks but it was just tossing Mauve around too much and I was too nervous to leave the filter in when I wasn't watching!
They seem alright, they both have stress stripes probably from the move and all the new water.
They can't see each other now. I feel kind of stupid trying the divided tank thing and stressing out my poor little guys so much...
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #8 
lalalaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I would never put more than 2 bettas in a 5 gal. They seemed a little crowded, just the two of them!
Is your tank divided? How would the cat fish swim throughout the tank?