Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #1 
lalalaura

New betta fish

I am new to this forum, so hello everyone! I have been to this forum a few times and finally decided to join to get some good advice!

I have a betta fish, Sushi, who I have had for just over a year now. I am apparently doing something right since he is still alive!

I had the urge to go out and buy another betta today. He's a crown tail male with a white body and purple and red fins. His current name is Mauve. I want to make sure I am doing everything perfect this time around. These fish are becoming quite the hobby for me so I want to make sure I am taking very good care of them.

Along with the fish, I bought a 1.77 gal. goldfish tank kit (it was on for $5.99, probably because everyone knows it is way too small for a goldfish). It came with some "Nutrafin cycle biological aquarium treatment" and I'm wondering if this stuff is suitable and a good idea to use for bettas. I did not cycle Sushi's tank and am wondering if using this stuff is a good idea? I probably should have thought about cycling the tank before buying the fish, oops on my part.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

It is almost impossible to cycle such a small tank. Even a 2.5 is very difficult to do. While Thunderloon might argue (heehee C; <3) its possible, it is really not worth the intense cost and large chance of failure...
I wouldnt use that stuff.
However, make sure that your water is changed 50% at least two times a week, with a 100% change one time if you dont have a filter. :)

Make sure you have proper water conditioner and all that, a heater and thermometer for both tanks and that both are kept up to snuff on changes to keep your friends happiest!

Welcome, Im glad you've become a member! <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 
lalalaura

Yeah, with Sushi I have always changed about 50% of the water once a week and occasionally I'll do a 100% change. I have been reading that most of you change your water more often so I am going to start doing so. I'm going to get some testing strips too.

I don't use filters, and I don't have a heater but since I moved back into my parents house I have noticed that Sushi's water is colder than it used to be; hovering around 70-72 which I think is too cold because he is not as active as usual. Are there any heaters suitable for a 1.5 gal tank & 1.77 gal? I have read that it can be dangerous to use a heater in such a small tank.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

That's why is usually recommended to get 2.5+ gallon tanks, theyre much easier to heat.
I had a 1.5 gallon and used a 10w marineland heater in there with great results. It was about $18 at petsmart. You must have a thermometer to moderate the temp.

70-74' is far too cold, you really do need heaters. They are essential for bettas, they are tropical fish. Its sorta like getting food for a dog. You need it!

And filters are not needed with bettas, so its not an issue. But, since you dont have a filter a weekly 100% change is essential because any poop, etc. will continue to stay at the bottom of the tank and further foul the water. A 50% change every two to three days (2x a week) and a 100% change is strongly recommended because it works very well. I used to do the 100% on a weekend.

Buying live plants (easy ones!) like hornwort, cabomba, and anarchis (a personal fave because its sooo easy!) suck up large amounts of ammonia and if you have enough, you dont need as frequent of changes. But you still need them!

Btw- dont get strips. Theyre very innacurate (trust me!) and more expensive in the long run. A liquid test kid gives you many more tests and is accurate. I and many others recommend API's- they give you awesome bang for your buck!

Once you get them, check out the level of ammonia. Record the levels and create a personal regimine for water changes with it. 0-.25ppm is usually fine long term, but higher than that-.5 is very stressful and can cause great issue, and higher than that to 1ppm+ is deadly.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote