Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Critique this fish with me please

I'm considering getting him as a potential "outcross" or just really to have some fresh blood in the fish (not that I still don't stalk Karen's auctions ). He looks very much like the first male I bred who unfortunately died before I could spawn him again.

I wouldn't be breeding him right away. He'd be a pet for my Mom until I decided to spawn him (she wants a "purple" betta).

What do you think? The price is right and if I go pick him up I can escape shipping charges.

My thoughts? His color seems good but his fins need work. He's an import so there's the potential for him to not breed as I've heard a lot of horror stories about imported males being duds.. however for $15 I'd consider him a fine pet for my mom even if he does turn out to be a dud.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #2 
sundstrom

Oh i love him and my mom says hes gorgeous. She thinks hes beautiful. Heck i would buy him if i saw him. Give him a good home he needs one but still hes still really pretty he can be a fixer upper. :)
sundstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #3 
monroe0704

At least he's pretty well balanced overall! I think he's got great color.. but yes I'm one of those with quite a few Thai duds! I have a theory that it's because the Thai bettas are pretty much still wild bettas (since their environment is so similar) and US bettas are "domesticated." It's proven that wild animals in captivity are harder to breed lol... Good luck with a decision.. I know I'm a huge help hahah
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Yeah.. but then again.. he could be a great father.. I guess it's a gamble either way LOL.

Here are some others I might consider although I'd have to find females.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I love yellows! All of them are gorgeous!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #6 
beat2020

Umm I would go with either male #1 or #2....I think they would be decent outcrosses...They both have nice colors and not many faults.

BTW Speaking of Jen's auctions,I was actually supposed to be buying a steel blue pair from her tomorrow but they sold today....I'm still so bummed :(
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Yeah I really like her steel HMPK but I just don't want to work with shortfins right now unless I can get some opaques.

I dunno.. I've had my eye on the multi for a week or two but I'm just thinking of other things I could be buying with the money.. and thinking about how many auction fish I can get for $15 at the FCB show.

Hmm.. maybe I'll re-post some fish stuff I have for sale and possibly make the money that way.

For reference.. here's the male I used to have. He was a 1st place winner in his class at the GABBA show. I wish I could remember who bred him.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #8 
Dragonlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I'm considering getting him as a potential "outcross" or just really to have some fresh blood in the fish (not that I still don't stalk Karen's auctions ). He looks very much like the first male I bred who unfortunately died before I could spawn him again.

I wouldn't be breeding him right away. He'd be a pet for my Mom until I decided to spawn him (she wants a "purple" betta).

What do you think? The price is right and if I go pick him up I can escape shipping charges.

My thoughts? His color seems good but his fins need work. He's an import so there's the potential for him to not breed as I've heard a lot of horror stories about imported males being duds.. however for $15 I'd consider him a fine pet for my mom even if he does turn out to be a dud.

I agree with you. His color is nice, but his finnage could be improved. Is that a Petco betta?
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Nope he's an import from thailand that Jennifer Vivieros is selling.

Do you think with the right female I could get halfway decent fry?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #10 
vilmarisv

I think you'll need a female with very strong finnage and more balanced than he is. But he's got potential!
I like 3-17 better bc of this nice strong dorsal, but that's just me :D
Do you have a female picked out for him?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote