Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #1 
Silverfang

Questions about my betta (pics included!)

Hi there, I'm new to the forums, and have had my betta for four weeks now, he's fairly happy for the most part (he loves to blow bubble nests).
I have a small container I keep him in, no filter, and it's pretty bare right now, I Was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to keep this guy happy and healthy.

A bit of background, I have to be extra picky about where I Can keep my Scuzi. I have a cat, and when I had bettas before, she broke into the container and tried to snack (she's a royal terror!).

Sorry about the glare, Scuzi is really blue, the colours didn't want to come out properly

Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #2 
turtle10

He definitely needs some plants and decorations, that tank is completely bare lol! Bettas don't like wide open spaces, and need a place to hide and rest. Some questions:
What size is your tank and what is the water temperature?
What is the water changing schedule?
What do you feed him, and how often?
Do you add anything to the water?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #3 
roypattonphoto

deffinately if u can get a regular aquarium or kritterkeeper no less then 2 - 2.5gal's

get a heater and set it to 78 (bettas seem to like 76-84*F (from what ive been reading and the warming it is the more likely theyre to get into that breeding stage)

get some plants, if u go live plants they help with the nitrate cycle and help give the tank some oxygen..

also give him a place to hide, they do like to hide in dark places when they get spooked are things start moving...

betta pellets for food every day (4 pellets usually good) get blood worms as a every now and then treat they also help brighten up the beta from what ive been told

good luck
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #4 
Abby

good info but remember if any deco or fake plants can snag on pantyhose they could harm your fish.
feeding all depends on the fish some people feed 2-3 morning AND night....i only feed three a night and i also try to fast one night now and then

The cat issue if you get a kritter keeper they have a lid. all my tanks have lids because BETTAS CAN JUMP :) and if you have a mean ol fish like one of my ten males Benny will LEAP up past the glass rim, through eggcrate and wiggle across it to get into his neighbours bay when the tank lids are not on
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roypattonphoto View Post
deffinately if u can get a regular aquarium or kritterkeeper no less then 2 - 2.5gal's

get a heater and set it to 78 (bettas seem to like 76-84*F (from what ive been reading and the warming it is the more likely theyre to get into that breeding stage)

get some plants, if u go live plants they help with the nitrate cycle and help give the tank some oxygen..

also give him a place to hide, they do like to hide in dark places when they get spooked are things start moving...

betta pellets for food every day (4 pellets usually good) get blood worms as a every now and then treat they also help brighten up the beta from what ive been told

good luck
There is no filter so there will be no cycle, but plants will help the water quality.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #6 
roypattonphoto

sorry i forget not everyone uses filters..... my fish would shoot me if they had to rely on me changing water every few days lol... i can be very absent minded a lot ...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I feed him once a day with beta min flakes, and I change his water once a week. I do a full change and use a beta water conditioner. I've been reading it's recommended to do a 50% change more often, I'm just not sure how to do this without removing Scuzi during the change.
I have absolutely no idea what size container he's in, but I do believe it holds 2L of water. I think he can see his reflection in the side of the container, he will flare at the one side.
Getting a larger tank is not an option at the moment, but I will get some gravel or perhaps those round glass stones and a plant.

Anything other suggestions/recommendations?

I'm going to be leaving him in the care of my mother for a few months so I'm hoping to get a simplified routine for his care.

EDIT: his container does have a lid, and the cat does not jump up on my computer desk anymore (it took years to break her of that habit).

Last edited by Silverfang; 03-25-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I feed him once a day with beta min flakes, and I change his water once a week. I do a full change and use a beta water conditioner. I've been reading it's recommended to do a 50% change more often, I'm just not sure how to do this without removing Scuzi during the change.
I have absolutely no idea what size container he's in, but I do believe it holds 2L of water. I think he can see his reflection in the side of the container, he will flare at the one side.
Getting a larger tank is not an option at the moment, but I will get some gravel or perhaps those round glass stones and a plant.

Anything other suggestions/recommendations?

I'm going to be leaving him in the care of my mother for a few months so I'm hoping to get a simplified routine for his care.

EDIT: his container does have a lid, and the cat does not jump up on my computer desk anymore (it took years to break her of that habit).
2 Liters is about half a gallon so very minimum you should be doing 100% water changes every other day.

Also, you must get a bigger home for him. Half a gallon is far too little.

You mentioned you wanted to get gravel and a plant.. is he in a plain bowl right now? Bettas need plants or a decoration to rest on.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
2 Liters is about half a gallon so very minimum you should be doing 100% water changes every other day.

Also, you must get a bigger home for him. Half a gallon is far too little.

You mentioned you wanted to get gravel and a plant.. is he in a plain bowl right now? Bettas need plants or a decoration to rest on.
I agree with you. The OP already showed pictures of what the betta is in, a square little half gallon tank.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #10 
turtle10

Oh I thought maybe he was in that for the pictures.

Yeah that is not an acceptable environment for bettas, or any fish for that matter.