Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #1 
monroe0704

IBC Show

I'm too lazy go researching this right now so I'm posting here! Lol. Are the IBC betta shows open to general public or do you need to buy a ticket to get in? I know it's probably too late to enter anything and I'd feel wrong entering the NB class w a fish that's not raised by me lol. I just want to go and learn!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #2 
JKfish

I"m pretty sure some parts are open to the public, but the cool informative stuff and classes are for members only... I think :P
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

How do you find out where these are?! I wanna go so badly T-T <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Check the last edition of Flare, I think all the info is there.
You could always try and contact Yvonne.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 
JKfish

They seem to be located in California.... I see adds for it on aquabid.... XD
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

There's going to be one in Florida in May. One coming up in a week in CA (and I expect lots of pictures from Karen.. I wonder if Beat is going??). The convention is in San Francisco in July. I'm not sure about the other dates but the show season is just starting off so there's going to be lots of them as summer rolls on.

The unfortunate part is unless your close to a show your either in for a really long drive or your just outta luck. I'm driving 2 hours, renting a hotel room for a night and driving 2 hours back all for the First Coast Bettas show.

It depends on the club as to when the public is allowed in. My clubs one show had what's called "open judging' where you can be in the room while the fish are judged. Some clubs have "closed judging' where only the judge, apprentices, and someone else (brain fart) are allowed in the room.

Usually there is a viewing time and then there is the auction that is open to the public too.

I've never heard of them charging tickets. Lets be honest what regular joe is going to pay to come in to look at fish? Having a well publicized, free show is a great way of bringing people into the hobby.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #7 
Martinismommy

The public is welcome to attend the shows and auctions......There is no charge......As far as entering the new breeders class the fish has to be bred by you....

There are 2 shows in CA this year.....Convention in June and the Southern CA show on April 2nd.....For a list of upcoming shows you can go to IBCBETTAS.ORG
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #8 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinismommy View Post
The public is welcome to attend the shows and auctions......There is no charge......As far as entering the new breeders class the fish has to be bred by you....

There are 2 shows in CA this year.....Convention in June and the Southern CA show on April 2nd.....For a list of upcoming shows you can go to IBCBETTAS.ORG
Lol I thought I read somewhere in their show info that your first year showing you can enter a betta not bred by you... Hmm gotta brush up before I actually decide to show!

My in-laws are moving out to Cali at some point soon so I will definitely be looking to conveniently visit around the time frame of the convention! :)
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

<----- Jealous. I REALLY wanted to be able to go to the convention.. especially since it's in San Fran and I've always wanted to go. I just can't swing it. So I'm going to VA to go to a Def Leppard concert with my sisters instead LOL

Bring me back some auction fish
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #10 
Dragonlady

If you have never attended an IBC show in person, you must! You will learn so much, and there are always lots of exchanges of ideas.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote