Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #1 
ScarletAngel209

Getting first Betta... Help!

Heya! I'm very new to this.

I'm getting my very first Betta either today or tomorrow. Bought a tank (+- 26 litres) last weekend, with a basic corner filter, gravel, bright plastic plant and a heater. Set it all up soon as i got home so it's been running for a week now. Added a bit of salt to the water as well as a water conditioner. Is there anything else anybody can recommend to make sure my new baby is going to be happy?

Any thoughts, recommendations or hints and tips are highly welcome!!

ScarletAngel209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #2 
tokala

Sounds like you are on the right track! Good for you for getting prepared early. I was clueless when I got my first one and have thus wasted a lot of $ through trial/error and lack of research.
One thought based off your post- You may want to check with someone more experienced about the addition of salt. I know it is great to use for healing a sick/injured fish, however I am not entirely sure it is good for them to have all the time. I feel like I have read somewhere that it can cause liver (or maybe kidney?) damage if exposed too long. But, I may be totally wrong! Otherwise, sounds like you are doing everything right! PLEASE post picts when you get your new fish!!! :D Congrats!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Welcome to this wonderful forum and the brilliant hobby of keeping bettas. I must warn you, we are enablers here. :D
Sounds brilliant! But I agree with Tokala about the salt, I'd do a partial water change to get some of the salt out. Just scoop out some water and replace it with conditioned water, okay? Other than that, sounds really great!
Yes, yes, please post pictures! :D We love pics. ;)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
ScarletAngel209

Thank You both!! Will definitely do something about the salt. Didn't put much in but I will scoop some water out and replace it with fresh conditioned water. Don't want to take the chance. I saw some Ammonia Remover at the store I'm getting my Betta from, heard that it will benefit the fish, do you think I should get some of that to minimize the ammonia in the water? Spoke to the guy today and looks like I'm going to have to wait a little longer for my baby. I am willing to wait, have been looking around at all the stores that sell them and he seems about the best, really looks after all his fish and gets a very good range in every time. Have been wanting a Betta for years but have been too scared to try, that is until my boyfriend talked me into getting a fish tank of my own :) Mom and boyfriend have tanks full of Guppies, SwordTails, Zebra Diano's and Pleco's... I'm the first one branching out with something different so I apologize in advance for asking way too many questions. Personally I think Betta's are one of the most beautiful fish out there. I can tell I'm at the right place to be enabled After going thro all your pics I'm already trying to figure out how I can divide my tank and get some more Betta's. Will definitely post pics when I get my baby. Thanks again!!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Yay, pics! I agree with you, bettas are definitely some of the most beautiful fishies! :D Good for you for stepping up and branching out, can't wait to see your new guy. Or girl! Haha. Great job.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #6 
Fins

I'm glad that you're so prepared. I've seen several people buy a fish without being prepared and it's never worked out the way it was supposed to. It often ended in the death of the poor darling. I can't wait to see some pictures.

Last edited by Fins; 03-25-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I had some spelling errors.
Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078

:B Self-promotionnnnnnn!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #8 
ScarletAngel209

Thanks Fins! Always think it's better to be prepared in advance. PewPewPew... Thank you so much!!! That thread mentions so many things us newbies wouldn't have a clue about, extremely helpful!!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Sorry, quick thread hijack. Pew, that's like, da bestest thread ever. LOL.
Okay. :) Sorry about that! Can't wait to see your betta! :D
Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #10 
TheCrysCat

Everything seems all right to me, other than the salt thing that people have mentioned. As for getting the actual fish, I would recommend getting one that seems as healthy as possible, so you don't need to end up using the salt xP They should be at least a little active, flaring is a good sign, with no sores or fluffy cottony stuff. If they look "fuzzy" you should also stay away. A pet store betta may have a few small chunks of fin missing, but there should be no significant fin damage.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote