Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #1 
Johnificent

Another new betta :)

Ok, this is how the story goes..... I went to the mall with my brothers and dad, and it seemed like my dad was in a pretty good mood, hahaha. so then he asked me, "do you want to go to petco?" I was so suprised, and obviously said yes. He brought me to the betta shelf and told me to pick a betta!!!! So, i found the cutest little veiltail female (dont have pictures yet :P) hahaha, yay! don't worry about the housing, she is in a temporary vase currently, but my dad said dont worry, he's going to visit a few LFS to look for a 10 gallon and split it four ways! so each betta will have 2.5 gallons! XD thats gonna be my veiltail tank, cause i have 3 veiltails, now four! hahahha, XD ill take pictures later :P
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #2 
Johnificent

Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #3 
turtle10

Post some pics! Also, I am not sure if I would divide a ten gallon four ways. It doesn't leave very much swimming room. They would each get 2.5 gallons, but it would be up and down swimming with not very much room to go side to side, which they do more.

What happened to your goldfish?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #4 
Johnificent

oh.... ok, then, ill tell my dad that :P my goldfish r ok, they're still super active, swimming around the tank :P
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #5 
turtle10

Not to take the thread off topic but why in the world did you get even another betta if you still haven't upgraded the goldfish? I just don't understand why you didn't get the goldfish a tank at petco instead…... The goldfish matter too…..
Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 
kathstew

Congrats on your new little girl! Girl bettas are soooo cute!

And, I have to agree with Turtle, why are you still keeping the goldfish in a 2.5, when you are getting more bettas. Provide the fish you have with PROPER homes before you get more.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Congrats on the new betta.

And guys come on let's be a little more happy for her. Yes the goldfish matter too but they don't grow very fast.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Congrats on the new betta.

And guys come on let's be a little more happy for her. Yes the goldfish matter too but they don't grow very fast.
There are six comets (get to be 12 in) in 2.5 gallons and they have been there for weeks, possibly months. The goldfish won't grow because the tank is too small, only their organs do, so they die. That is why many goldfish people see don't grow very much because they are in inadequate housing. It is hard to be happy when you see fish being pushed aside time and time again.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #9 
Johnificent

....... i actually did not buy the goldfish :p my parents did + they think im nonsense when i talk bout the goldfish having too small a tank. also, u r now goin to ask how come i can provide my bettas adequate homes? this is cuz my furst betta was in a half gallon tank but when i bought myself a 2.5 gal, they saw how my betta began to thrive by growing longer tail and the changing of his color, so i cant do anything right now.... ill try and tell my dad bout it when we look for the new tanks for my 4 veiltails [gonna be a big tank w/ dividers]
Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnificent View Post
....... i actually did not buy the goldfish :p my parents did + they think im nonsense when i talk bout the goldfish having too small a tank. also, u r now goin to ask how come i can provide my bettas adequate homes? this is cuz my furst betta was in a half gallon tank but when i bought myself a 2.5 gal, they saw how my betta began to thrive by growing longer tail and the changing of his color, so i cant do anything right now.... ill try and tell my dad bout it when we look for the new tanks for my 4 veiltails [gonna be a big tank w/ dividers]
But why did you buy a fish when you knew you still had the goldfish to care for? Maybe you can't get them a bigger tank, why don't you rehome them? I just don't understand why they are still in this situation. I wouldn't put more than one betta in a 2.5, so it makes me want to cry to think of 6 comets in a 2.5 gallon. They will die, seriously. I can give you tons of websites that have goldfish info, or you can look up goldfish care. You will find that basically every website will at least say 10 gallons per goldfish. You can print out some pages and show them to your parents. Bettas may be fine in 2.5 gallons, but fish that grow to be a foot long should never be in something that small.